AVR300 remote; outer coating starts flaking after a while?

John P.

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't remember the exact name of the remote, as my receiver is away for repair, but I think it's CR80 or something similar.

Anyway - I've had the receiver for about eight months. When I first got it, I thought the remote looked really nice; it had a coating that made it feel almost like velvet, in addition to probably deflecting light in a dark home cinema situation.

But a couple of months after, the outer coating(the 'velvet' stuff) starts peeling off here and there(small specks), and the whole remote now looks more like ordinary plastic remotes do. It has lost it's initial "fluffiness".

I was wondering if this is a common 'problem', if I'm just a perfectionist for noticing, and if it's something that would warrant a replacement remote on the warranty?

-Maybe my hands are just unnaturally greasy/sweaty for this to happen? :p

I think it's a common problem because the remote is cheap junk. Mine is the same, after only 2 months... Arcam could do a lot better, this is probably a $2 remote and it is not unique to Arcam, hence the jumble of meaningless buttons.

Generic rubbish.

Well - I wouldn't replace my AVR300 in order to get a different remote from another brand(!). What I was wondering, was if this is common for these AVR300 remotes, and if I could possibly ask for a replacement since the coating has started to peel off?

Speak to Arcam, they are generally very good about dealing with these issues, or perhaps your dealer first.

Same thing happened with mine. Could be a batch problem, could be generic. I've swapped one remote, we'll see how the second one holds up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom