1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avr300 question

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by paulst10, Oct 23, 2005.

1. paulst10

paulst10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,504
    i have noticed when chapter searching through menus or a movie that i get a slight clicking from my speakers, is this normal??
    from what i can tell it is switching from digital to a stereo signal for a second when you chapter search

also this happens when selecting diferent inputs eg: from dvd to cd etc! etc!

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Can't say I've noticed on my AVR300.

John

3. ginaandlee

ginaandlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think its quite a common thing with many receivers, I get that too when im switching bitstreams on a DVD with my DVD89. I think some combos of players and receivers are more prone to noise - my old Arcam alpha 10 with DAVE would make a horrible white noise burst every time i switched in the menus, but with the AVR300 i sometimes get just a click noise, nothing that bothers me. My old Onyko receiver had a 2 sec mute when it switched different bitstreams to prevent any noise at all, maybe thats something Arcam could do with new firmware.

4. paulst10

paulst10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,504
    hi, thanks for the info

i have phoned arcam and described the problem, and he said that it sounds like it has a problem, he said the amp should make a clicking sound when selecting diferent inputs but there shouldnt be a popping noise (however slight) from the speakers, he recommended that i take it back to the shop for replacement.
    i am going to take the amp round my mates house and try it on his system tonight to see if it does the same thing on his.

5. hedrick@rutgers

hedrick@rutgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Both the 250 and 300 have a tendency to make a loud snap when going between normal stereo PCM and Dolby or DTS surround sound. I find it irritating if not alarming, but I don't know that there's actually any problem. Many users have reported it. Arcam say it shouldn't happen.

I don't normally see it when going between chapters, though in theory going into the menu and back could do it. Take a look at the leds on the front and see if you're changing modes, i.e. going between PCM and DD/DTS. If so, it can happen.

6. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As everyone stated.. its normal! The unit is switching formats from DD/DTS to pcm or stereo... it makes a pop/staticy noise.

7. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have noticed the static pop when moving through the chapters in the AVIA Advanced menus. This is most noticable on the Audio reference material, when pressing Chan+/- to skip to the next audio test it produces the noise.

I have not heard any noise when the amp automatically switches between Stereo, DD or DTS when playing a DVD.

8. paulst10

paulst10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,504
    yeh, all except arcam themselves. and i take it you are happy with yours doing it then? strange how every other amp iv had doesnt