avr300 question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paulst10, Oct 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. paulst10

paulst10
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,309
    i have noticed when chapter searching through menus or a movie that i get a slight clicking from my speakers, is this normal??
    from what i can tell it is switching from digital to a stereo signal for a second when you chapter search

also this happens when selecting diferent inputs eg: from dvd to cd etc! etc!

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Can't say I've noticed on my AVR300.

John

3. ginaandlee

ginaandlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think its quite a common thing with many receivers, I get that too when im switching bitstreams on a DVD with my DVD89. I think some combos of players and receivers are more prone to noise - my old Arcam alpha 10 with DAVE would make a horrible white noise burst every time i switched in the menus, but with the AVR300 i sometimes get just a click noise, nothing that bothers me. My old Onyko receiver had a 2 sec mute when it switched different bitstreams to prevent any noise at all, maybe thats something Arcam could do with new firmware.

4. paulst10

paulst10
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,309
    hi, thanks for the info

i have phoned arcam and described the problem, and he said that it sounds like it has a problem, he said the amp should make a clicking sound when selecting diferent inputs but there shouldnt be a popping noise (however slight) from the speakers, he recommended that i take it back to the shop for replacement.
    i am going to take the amp round my mates house and try it on his system tonight to see if it does the same thing on his.

5. hedrick@rutgers

[email protected]
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Both the 250 and 300 have a tendency to make a loud snap when going between normal stereo PCM and Dolby or DTS surround sound. I find it irritating if not alarming, but I don't know that there's actually any problem. Many users have reported it. Arcam say it shouldn't happen.

I don't normally see it when going between chapters, though in theory going into the menu and back could do it. Take a look at the leds on the front and see if you're changing modes, i.e. going between PCM and DD/DTS. If so, it can happen.

6. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As everyone stated.. its normal! The unit is switching formats from DD/DTS to pcm or stereo... it makes a pop/staticy noise.

7. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have noticed the static pop when moving through the chapters in the AVIA Advanced menus. This is most noticable on the Audio reference material, when pressing Chan+/- to skip to the next audio test it produces the noise.

I have not heard any noise when the amp automatically switches between Stereo, DD or DTS when playing a DVD.

8. paulst10

paulst10
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,309
    yeh, all except arcam themselves. and i take it you are happy with yours doing it then? strange how every other amp iv had doesnt