AVR300 problem - 2 sec delay between tracks / channel change

kuli_s

Standard Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just took receipt of a 4 mth old Arcam AVR300 from ebay - got it for 800 quid.

I am having a problem where the unit seems to take 2 seconds before i hear anything between music tracks or when i change sky channel - i guess it must be when the bitstream stops and re-starts.

This cannot be right and i have sent a note to Arcam support - i have scoured the manuals but nothing seems to point to such an issue.

Also, unfortunately I am just not getting the audio separation and soundstage i was expecting - i would say my 300 quid NAD L70 DVD/AV Receiver was doing a better job with my Castle Compact Columns!

Do you think I have a duff unit? I have tried different inputs and also this problem occurs with two different input sources so possibly it is the digital circuits / DAC which could also explain the sound as I am disappointed given all the wonderful things said about this unit.

Anyone seen this or got any advice????

tvh3ad

Novice Member
As far as the delays go, I think your unit is fine: sounds like normal operation for bitstream resync. That said, YMMV as the resync behavior varies by source device.

For example, I have a DVR hooked up via toslink to an AV9 (and the AVR300 before that) and I get a drop/resync whenever I switch channels / skip through commercials / pause / do anything that interrupts the signal. I also have my computer hooked up via toslink and my (Arcam) DVD player hooked up via coax, and neither of these devices resyncs when changing tracks.

kuli_s

Standard Member
ok - so i gather what you are saying is that the resync is ok for channel changes, but i shouldn't observe this between tracks playing from the htpc - so still looks like a problem.

Also - any ideas on the sound issues?

K

webhammer

Novice Member
I work for USA Arcam importer Audiophile Systems LTD. The problem we see here has more to do with quality of the cable or satellite connection, either from outside or from the digital receiver. With a bad connection, the sound will lose sync and take a second or two to re-sync. That is just the nature of the beast and there are other devices that take much less time. That being said, the problem is always corrected here with either a new cable, connector, or digital receiver.
kuli_s said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just took receipt of a 4 mth old Arcam AVR300 from ebay - got it for 800 quid.

I am having a problem where the unit seems to take 2 seconds before i hear anything between music tracks or when i change sky channel - i guess it must be when the bitstream stops and re-starts.

This cannot be right and i have sent a note to Arcam support - i have scoured the manuals but nothing seems to point to such an issue.

Also, unfortunately I am just not getting the audio separation and soundstage i was expecting - i would say my 300 quid NAD L70 DVD/AV Receiver was doing a better job with my Castle Compact Columns!

Do you think I have a duff unit? I have tried different inputs and also this problem occurs with two different input sources so possibly it is the digital circuits / DAC which could also explain the sound as I am disappointed given all the wonderful things said about this unit.

Anyone seen this or got any advice????

proux

Novice Member
Hi Kuli, well done for getting it, but sorry you are having problems...:(

The separation / soundstage quality of course is very subjective and as I said before is good in my case with the Castles, so can't say whether it is a duff unit or I had low expectations. I certainly don't have the delay between tracks though.

Have you tried a different digital cable? More importantly, have you tried connecting your CD player by a decent analogue cable and using stereo direct- to bypass the AVR300 DAC and see if this is the problem.

I presume the warranty has expired? If not, maybe a dealer could help?

Good luck!:smashin:

kuli_s

Standard Member
Thanks for all your input - much appreciated.

I sent a mail to Arcam and they said it could well be the unit, but i would need to prove that the outputs aren't causing the drop-outs.

To counter both Arcam and Webhammer, I have been happily running both the Sky HD box (satellite receiver box) and the HTPC into my old NAD dvd/av receiver (300 pounds).

Since nothing has changed in my setup to both digital sources and associated cabling I would say it very strongly points to a faulty receiver.

Proukakis - nice to hear from you again - I am really hoping there is an issue with this particular unit, or my setup, as everyone out there can't be wrong!!!

Anyway, have contacted the retailer who sold it to the ebay seller, and they are going to chat with their Arcam contact and we will see where it leads!

Cheers,

Kuli

Top Bottom