1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 power question

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by RumNYC, Jul 26, 2005.

1. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    From the AVR300 brochure:

any 2 channels driven 120w (20hz – 20khz @ 0.2% thd)
    all 7 channels driven 100w (1khz @ 0.2% thd)

What does this mean if I am using 2-channels in biamped configuration?

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The load on the Power supply is the same as if you were using two channels so you are effectively still on the 120W peformance rating.

However the power ratings of amplifers rarely tell you much about how they will actually sound, it is a combinations of far to many factors for a simple power rating to describe.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. Paul_A/V

Paul_A/V
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Andy,

To continue on the power ratings theme, I have read the document describing the AVR300's power ratings (available from Audiophile Systems). I also just recently read an article written over at Audioholics about the "All Channels Driven Amplifier Test" (http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/amplifiers/ACDTEST.php). They talk about how this test is not a great way to measure an amplifiers capabilities yet in the document from Audiophile Systems this method is emphasized as important in assessing a multi-channel amplifier's abilities. Have you read this article by Audioholics? Would you mind providing your own engineering philosophies and personal opinions on this subject?

Thanks.