1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 power cut out problem

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Godvrey, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Godvrey

Godvrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just installed a new AVR300 into my system, but the power has cut out twice for no particular reason.

There is no specific time interval between switching the unit on and it cutting out, and it's happened whilst playing music and whilst watching a movie - both at fairly low volume. It's been on for several hours without a problem, but then most recently cut out after about 60mins. The screen shows 'standby' and that's it. I can turn it straight back on again and it'll stay on with no problem - so I doubt it can be any kind of overheating.

Speaker impedance is set to 4Ohms, voltage to 230. I've checked all the connections at the back for any touching wires and can't find anything wrong.

Anyone got any suggestions before I contact my dealer for a replacement?

2. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Sounds to me like a possible software problem.

I know its a pain but as the unit is new i would return it to the dealer and get them to set it up and see if it happens to them.

3. gballan@mac.com

gballan@mac.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a similar problem with my AVR 250. But there's no pattern to the cutting out and when I took it back to the dealer it worked fine. It's now been running for about 2 weeks without cutting out but on and off I've been suffering this problem for about 3 months.

Graeme

4. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

It is possible you have accidentally activated the AVR300 sleep mode which turns the unit off after 30,60 or 90 mins. Using the SLP button on the CR80 go through the options untill it reads off on the display. Hopefully this will stop it from shutting itself down.

Regards,
    Andrew

5. Godvrey

Godvrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy,

I checked the manual but can find no mention of this functionality?? I will check it tonight when I get home. It would certainly explain the random nature of the cut outs - or at least as far as I noticed. I guess if I turn it on tonight and it cuts out after 30, 60 or 90 mins i'll know. I'm assuming from your mail that once you have set this it kicks in automatically everytime you turn the AVR300 on? It will not default to 'off'?

6. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    My A85 cut out recently, whilst playing the TV at low volume.

Those helpful Arcam people suggested either:

Speaker wires touching
    Extremely low frequency sounds being broadcast, getting towards being DC which the amp obviously wouldn't like (didn't know that would happen, but I'm no expert!), or
    A mains spike or lightning strike.

It's not happened since, and thinking about it later, the house lights did go dim once or twice that night.

Might just be over-sensistive protection against mucky mains. Rather that I suppose than a smoking box in the corner!

7. cteixeira

cteixeira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Godvrey
    I had the same problem. My unit went to standby itself after 2 or 10 hours, aleatory. All conections were fine.
    After a long "work around" I discovered I had a litle freezer switched on the same branch of the power than Arcam (3 meters distance).
    Well, I changed the freezer and no more problems with Arcam.

8. jakeman

jakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or check whether the power cord is securely in place. My avp 700 has a loose cord connection which I am careful to make sure is always snug.

9. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    My AVR300 has cut out a few times in the months i've owned it and I've put it down to protection against mucky mains as I've checked eveything else.

John

10. Godvrey

Godvrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the posts.

I've had mine running day and night now for 2 days and it hasn't cut out at all. It's bizarre. I can't believe it had anything to do with the 'sleep' function, since it's quite clear when this is on (says sleep on the display, which is a dead giveaway). Starting to doubt myself now though cause i've only just got it and maybe didn't notice...:)

Guess it might just be a mains issue like others have mentioned. I have a freezer in the same room as me too, and I notice when it goes on and off there is inteference on the TV which is connected to the same plug gang as the Arcam, so it's entirely possible. Doesn't really explain the random nature of it however, but perhaps it's just worse some days than others.

Anyway, I will be keeping my eye on it very closely....!

11. NiallAikman

NiallAikman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not much help in finding a solution, but I have exactly the same problem with mine. It's only happened about 3 or 4 times, never move the unit or wires, so that's not the reason; on some occasions, it's when the unit's been on for ages watching TV without me even touching the remote.

It is very infrequent, so I just live with it, and again, I have very dirty mains where I am, power dips a lot and I have a fridge on the same ring main. Have one of those Russ Andrews 'silencer' gadgets plugged in between now, so will wait and see if that stops it!