AVR300 Power Amp Output Stage

M

MovieMan65

Few questions for Arcam.

1. Does the AVR300 have identical power output stages for all 5 channells?

2. Are they transisters, IC's or a combination ?

3. If they are different, the quality of the rear effects amp will not be as good as the front amp. Therefore is it better to bi-wire than bi-amp an avr300.

4. I have an old 8P. will it be better to use this as the amp for the high's rather than the rear effects amp?

MovieMan65 said:
Few questions for Arcam.

1. Does the AVR300 have identical power output stages for all 5 channells?

2. Are they transisters, IC's or a combination ?

3. If they are different, the quality of the rear effects amp will not be as good as the front amp. Therefore is it better to bi-wire than bi-amp an avr300.

4. I have an old 8P. will it be better to use this as the amp for the high's rather than the rear effects amp?

1. There are 7 channels of amplification provided by the AVR300 and I understand from my dealer that they're identical.

2. What does it matter? The signal path probably includes discrete devices (for higher power) and integrated devices.

3/4. .... no idea....yawn

As far as I am aware the AVR300 have identical power output stages for all 7 channels.
the quick specs are here...
http://www.arcam.co.uk/downloads/DiVA%20AVR300%20specifications.pdf
As to what sort of amplification / components are used... I have no idea... but I'm sure a quick search on google will turn up detailed reviews.

I also have an 8P and some time ago I was asking similar questions to you.
One of the designers from Arcam (who frequent these forums) suggested the AVR300's amps were better than an 8P.
As per his suggestion my setup uses front + rear surround channels to bi-amp my front speakers and I use the 8P for zone 2 in the kitchen.

Hope this helps

Bill

Thanks Bill!

That was more what I was looking for rather than smart comments from some ????

I have noticed, when the front speakers are bi-amped using the rear effects, it does not sound as good as when simply bi-wired. This led me to believe that there is a possibility that the effects amps are not as good as the front. This is the same problem I had quite some time back with my original Arcam Av50 with the 8P. The bi-wired 8P sounded better than the bi-amped AV50+8P. This is due to the amp stages of the AV50 being inferior to the 8P.

When I first purchased the AV50 (so so long ago), I was informed by the Dealer that it had 5 identical output stages. When I recently investigated, I found this not to be true. The 3 front channels are different to the rears.

MovieMan65 said:
Snip
I have noticed, when the front speakers are bi-amped using the rear effects, it does not sound as good as when simply bi-wired.

About a month ago I went through a period of changing every possible variable in terms of Single wire, Bi-wire, Bi-amp speaker cables, Interconnects etc etc.
From all my fiddling I settled on Bi-amp 2 x Chord rumour speaker cables and Mark Grant interconnects. I could detect no diference between using front or rear amps for bass or treble (And I'm not sure which way round I have them at the moment)
I am happy with this and am now back listening to the music :thumbsup:
I suggest you get yourself to a position where YOU are happy listening to music.
As to how you achieve that... is there a right or wrong way of enjoying this hobby?
I had a fine time borrowing interconnects and wires from friends and dealers and listened to some great music in the process.
I'm still hankering after making some Cat5 speaker cables but for the moment I'm happy :clap:

I too have tried various setups and have settled for a bi-amped solution mainly due to cables used being too large to connect to one terminal even with stacked banana plugs, it gets messy.

I had Cat5 cables which I made using Chris VenHaus's cat5 recipe until I got my new set of CHeLA cables from him (www.vhaudio.com). The CHeLA cables are similar to cat5 and are extremely good. I use his interconnects and power cables as well. All built by me using his DIY recipes. I first used normal cables to make the interconnects and power cables, found out they were good and bought the recommended cables from him.

I never believed that interconnects, power and speaker cables can have such an impact on sound but now the AVR300 sounds a lot more expensive than it should. I have compared it against a pre/power Quad combo which my friend has (old but super amps) and there was no difference and sounded very similar in stereo. This is great considering that the next one up the ladder was the AV8/P7 combo which cost A$12,000/- more or 5 times the AVR300 (at least in Australia).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom