1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 - poor vocals

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Arcamainia, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Arcamainia

Arcamainia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, that's right, nearly every DVD movie seems to have faint vocals so I'm having to hike the volume to hear conversations properly. I've checked all cabling, delays etc and everything seems in order. Didn't have this problem with my inferior Sony AV amp/receiver which is odd. I haven't upgraded my speakers yet (Sony Pascal SAVE545) and they are positioned the same. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    At a guess I'd say the speaker levels need to be recalibrated.

3. Arcamainia

Arcamainia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Geff,

Have them all set to 0db. I don't have a SPL meter, though it would probably help, I'm guessing increase the center speaker level or all the fronts? I'm using a 5.1 configuration if that helps.

Cheers.

4. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I have an AVR300 but had to lower the volume level for the centre channel to -2db to get it to how i like my surround to sound.

I find the AVR300 more than adequate for the centre channel.

What centre speaker are you using ?

5. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    My father has the Pascal speakers and i hooked them up to my AVR300...i did not notice any loss in volume from the centre channel.

6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Setting the speaker levels with a SPL metre is very important - even the odd db can make a significant difference. Just because your sony amp sounded fine doesnt mean the Arcam should sound the same at 0db on all speakers.

On a slightly seperate note - what DVD player are you using and have you changed this recently ? I was running a DV89 and changed it for a DV79. Whilst the DV79 was on order I used a base model Toshiba player. The vocals were shockingly poor however much I tweaked the levels. As soon as the DV79 arrived everything sounded good again. I never new that there could be such huge differences between the SPIDIF's on DVD players.

7. Arcamainia

Arcamainia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for doing the test Zamwessell! I've found it's not so much a reduction in volume though, more I'm having to hike the volume to get the same vocals I had before. Obviously, everthing else goes up with it and this is making late night/early morning movie viewing a tad difficult without headphones.

With regards to my DVD player, I've recently purchased a DV88 (not the + but could be upgraded and has the latest soft/firmware....I think). I'm using good quality interconnects (50 squid ones) though I've switched from Coax to Optical. Could be the combination of quality DVD player and interconnect, perhaps I'm hearing things as they're meant? Previous player was a Sony one-above entry level.

I'm on the lookout for a cheap SPL meter then but I'll be upset if there's little wrong wth my setup and still have the problem.

Cheers guys.

8. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Normally (in my situation) I crank the center level 3 or 4 dB down like Zamwessell had to.
    As we all know the center is where the conversation comes from, a very important speaker, use a good one or maybe every actors squawks like Donald Duck...
    So maybe your center is a bit flaky or of the closed box type (that's not bad in itself, but these are insensitive, maybe 86dBa), try upping the level of just the center.
    Barend

9. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    and get yourself a sound meter asap....you'd be suprised at how often you use the thing.....

CaM

10. Arcamainia

Arcamainia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure which is the best to go for, SPL that is. Seen a few advertised and there's plenty of choice.

Is 40-60 quid normal for these? Any links or recommendations appreciated.

11. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Seems reasonable, don't take one with a LCD or LED bar display but must have a real meter, this follows changes fast enough.
    Set it to Curve C and SLOW.
    And buy a battery type (these are the cheapest) because of hum floor.
    And exacting dB displays are not very important, as we are just interested in the differences.
    Barend

12. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the digital kind from RadioShack, and must say that I find it more than adequate. It also has a MAX setting, which reliably measures the peaks, which are often lost on the analog meters.

14. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I also have one of the RadioShack models, got mine delivered from:

Here

and it has certainly helped with my set-up.

Cheers

Andy

15. NiallAikman

NiallAikman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a SPL meter yesterday from Maplin, £34, wish I'd bought one years ago. Shows just how rubbish my ears are at judging volume levels, makes a hell of a big difference. It's an LED one, but does what I require!