1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 owners - anyone had their cooling fan kick in yet?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by zamwessell, Jul 21, 2004.

1. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Hi.

The cooling fan on my AVR300 has been starting up over the last few days.This is probably due to the hot weather here as i have not been 'pushing' the amp,just watching Sky+ at around 50 - 60db.

Has anyone had the fan start up on their AVR300 ? Did the fan turn itself off after a while ? I felt the unit later on and it seemed cool as it should be but the fan remained on until i switched the unit off.

2. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if my fan has kicked in or not, can you hear it ? mine runs quite as a mouse but it is warm / hot to the touch on top of the unit by the air vents.

IS it not meant to be warm / hot ? my Denon AVR 3300 was always warm / hot on the top.

Spike

3. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Yes it is quite loud when it is fully operational....it's niggling away at me now.It does the job though..as in cooling the unit..but i would expect it the fan to turn off when the amp is cooled back down to the right temperature but as of yet,it has not when i have been using it.

The noise would not be such a problem for a loud movie but when watching tv at a 'normal' sound level it does seem distracting.It is certainly louder than my sky+ box,PC and any projector fans i have heard.

I would not expect it to start up when only driving 2 speakers at low levels but i am not a tech whizz.

4. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case it sounds like you have duff unit, my AVR 300 runs totally silent, the only noise i get from my system (sky+ box in other room for the wife) with volum off is the slight hum from the plasma fan.

But should the AVR 300 be warm / hot to the touch on the top ? just curious as mine is and im a bit concerend im not giving it enough ventilation.

Spike

5. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Mine has always been warm to the touch.It has only been the last few days that the fan has been starting up.I wouldn't mind if the fan was as quiet as my sky+ box but it is just a little too loud for my acceptance levels.

My old Denon would be warm to the touch also.I think that is normal for AV amps.

6. Playitloud

Playitloud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello
    AVR300 owner in the UK. Mine also runs warm/hot to the touch on top especially near the back of the unit by the vents.

I normally listen at between 60 to 65db, and upto 70db when no children are in the house!! At that volume everything springs to life.

I mentioned to the shop where I bought the AVR300 that the top gets hot and they said not to be too concerned as the amp runs A class, therefore will get "warm".

To date no fans in the unit to my knowledge have activated as the unit runs quiet.

My unit is sited in a cabinet with a door but no back. When using the door is either open or off.

7. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reassuring me guys, mine is also in a cabinet with now back (knocked it out) and have doors open when running it over 50 db.

Im just a bit paraniod as i did blow up my old Denon during a christmas party by over heating it :) lucky it was within 2 year warranty and the auto cut off circuit shoul dhave kicked in but it didnt so got a free repair.

Spike

8. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Didn't even know the thing had a fan!
    And that's with the CD82T standing on top of it...I know it's bad, but it looks classy!
    Must clip the wire before it starts sizzling in the midst of some adagio... :laugh:

Barend

9. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    It was on again tonight and did not seem as noisy....maybe it has been 'run in' now.

10. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I tried to push the amp sonically as much as i could with music and a movie which is heavy in surround sound...no fan started up....it must have been down to the humid/hot weather of the last few days as it still warm tonight but a lot fresher.

So i can relax.