1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 or AVP700 with alpha 10 power?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ginaandlee, Sep 11, 2005.

1. ginaandlee

ginaandlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking at switching to either the 300 or 700. I currently have an Arcam alpha 10 with the DAVE module and 2 10P's - one 2 channel and the other 3 channel, so i can bi amp my front 2 speakers. Speakers are Kef reference series, cd is an Alpha 9 and DVD is a DVD89 (replacing a Pioneer 588) - i love the whole system to bits :)

What im curious about is if the 300 would be better than the 700 connected to my 10P's - i have an extra 10P too so i could still bi amp the fronts and use the 3 channel 10P for the center/rears. I love the sound of my alpha 10 and although they are about 6 years old now, they were the best Arcam had at the time. I suppose i'll audition both and see how they do, id be interested if anyone has an opinion on this.

2. cpd

cpd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't be of much help for your choice, except to say that if you already have external amps, I can't think of a reason to get the 300 over the 700. But I have to say... I'm surprised to see another person from Pittsburgh on this board!

Chris

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have an AVR300 with an Alpha 10, Alpha 10P/3, and Alpha 9 to power the 7 channels. If I were doing it over I'd use the AVP700 instead without reservation. Why pay for the power amps of the AVR300 if you aren't going to use them?

4. ginaandlee

ginaandlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

If i was to get an AVR300 i would sell my 10Ps. Having everything in 1 box rather than 4 is somewhat appealing (AVP700 + 2x10P + 1x10P3), im not sure if amplifier tech has moved on enough that the internal amps are just as good as the 10s were. I would certainly gain enough money by selling my 10Ps that i could buy an AVR300. If the 10Ps still hold their own compared to newer Arcam power amps i wouldnt have any problem keeping them and getting the AVP700, guess its time to talk to my local dealer about some demos :)

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm using the Alpha 10 amps instead of the AVR300 internal amps because they do sound a lot better. I expect the AVP700/Alpha solution will sound a lot better than an AVR300 alone. But that shouldn't be too surprising as it is a more expensive setup as well.

I was even planning on trading my AVR300 for an AVP700.

6. cpd

cpd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amp technology hasn't changed all that much, so don't worry about that. Also, you have the sonic advantages that separates give you. Having separate power supplies and a clean signal path in the processor can make a big difference.

Chris

7. ginaandlee

ginaandlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thats good to hear. Time to get my money together and go visit the dealer :)