AVR300 - no audio using PCM input - MPEG audio issue?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jonbar, Mar 15, 2006.

Tags:
  1. jonbar

jonbar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having problems getting audio out of my AVR300 when using a digital coax input and DVDs I have created from off-air digital TV programmes transferred from my PVR. The AVR300 selects PCM automatically, but there’s no sound.

I can get sound via the digital coax input if my HK DVD25 player is configured to output PCM, but that’s inconvenient because it then needs resetting to play DD/DTS audio streams from standard DVDs.

Connecting up an analogue stereo lead between the DVD player and an analogue input on the AVR300 also results in sound, providing I override the digital input.

I think the problem is due to the audio being in MPEG format. The original source was Freeview. The editing software used to produce the DVDs indicates the audio is MPEG with a 256Kbps rate. The HK DVD25 also reports the audio as being MPEG (16bit / 48KHz) with a bit rate that varies but appears consistent with the 256Kbps rate reported by the editing software.

Reading back through some old threads suggests the AVR300 doesn’t decode MPEG audio. Is this still the case or was MPEG decoding added to the AVR300 in a later software update?

2. kishoo

kishoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have the same problem using dvd's created off my Topfield.

It is because of a lack of MPEG (audio) decoder.

If you use the analogue outs from the dvd player you will get audio....

DVD standard is for DVD players to have a MPEG audio decoder.. on the other hand very few AV amps / processors have them.

Kishoo

3. jonbar

jonbar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for confirming my thoughts. My files also originate from a Toppy, not that it's responsible for the problem.

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Are you all sure about that ? I've never created a DVD based on a recording from my Toppy, but I have made several DVDs from Freeview programmes recorded on my PC (Nebula card), and all playback fine through my AVR300.

So either the toppy is doing something weird with it's audio, or my DVD creation process does something to change the MPEG audio (to PCM ?) ... in which case if you guys change your DVD mastering process, it should work for you too.

Cheers, Carl.

5. kishoo

kishoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The lack of conversion from MPEG audio to Dolby Digital AC-3 is a feature that my DVD authoring packahe has not got... Hence the lack of digital audio decoding in my place...

Cwick, how did you capture video off your topfield .. Via USB or using the video outs ?

Cheers

Kishoo

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I've never captured video off the toppy, but if I did I'd pull the recordings off via USB and chuck them through Nero to burn a DVD. I don't do that though - if there's something I want to burn, I record on my PC with a Nebula freeview card.

7. kishoo

kishoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Cwick,

Thanks for that... dont have a freview card in the laptop .. yet !

Kishoo