1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 / Mission Volare - Speaker Cable Choice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by TimHiFi, Mar 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am still trying to choose Speaker cable for my new set up. I am relatively 'new' to high grade HiFi having been stalled for a number of years with my old kit, so I don't know all the in's and out's of speaker cable :0(

I am looking for guidance from fellow AVR300 or Mission speaker owners.

My set up is AVR300, Mission Volare V63 Fronts, V6C Centre and M5DS Rears (plus a sub of course).

I originally looked at QED Silver Anniversary Bi-wire for the front three (assuming that I might use Zone 2 someday) and something like QED Silver Micro for the rears (as these are approx 13M long each ! and it needs to be small).

However I spoke to the Cable Doctor at Chord, and he recommended Carnival Silver Plus.

My local Audio-T recommended Chord Rumour or Odessey, over both of these.

I'm a bit confused what to go for really :0( I want something in keeping with the quality of the Amp and Speakers, but don't want to buy too cheap.

Any help out there ? Have you used any of these set ups ?

Thanks in advance

I have asked this question in the Arcam Forum, rather than the Cable Forum because of all you AVR300 owners out there.

2. missionman

missionman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I would recommend the Carnival Silver Plus as a good compromise between cost and high performance. If you can afford it go for the Odyssey, but it's more expensive.

Mr Mission

3. Andrew K

Andrew K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +595
    I would go with Rumour for the fronts and centre as these will be relatively short lengths and use the Carnival Silver for the rears.

The front three are likely to be used the most and it is important to keep consistency across the three.

4. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the help so far .....

The Carnival Silver Plus is to big for me to use as rears, my speakers are on the walls, and I need to put the cable in conduit around the room, so I was looking at something 'smaller' for that.

Seems you are both keen on Chord :0) .... is it alright to go Chord on the fronts, and QED on the rears, or should I be buying all my cable from the same manufacturer ?

Mr Mission .... I assume you know whats best for Mission Speakers ? :0)

5. Andrew K

Andrew K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +595
    I use Rumour on the front three (bi-wired) and QED (Cheaper cable) on the rears because of the lengths. I probably would have gone for Carnival Silver if it had been out then though as I am running the Q2ds rears which are beefier than normal rears.

6. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    As a rule of thumb, spend your first £10,000 on hardware before worrying about cables). If you aven't spent that much so far, a reasonable quality OFC core at 2.5mm square or larger will do the trick. Maplins have some good stuff at £2/m. Copper is copper is copper! Oh, and forget bi-wiring.

7. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You can get 2.5, 4 and 6mm^2 LOFC Sommer Meridian cable from Studiospares at £0.87, £1.29 and £1.59 per metre + VAT respectively

And they do the same stuff as Maplin (2.5mm^2 White speakerflex) at £0.41/metre + VAT.
    or a black Europa 3mm^2 at £0.62+VAT

8. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I appreciate your frugal comments :0) However having spent nearly £2500 on an amp and speakers I am trying to aim a bit higher

At the end of the day it looks like its going to be personal choice, or recommendation.

The rears are currently wired using B&Q 79 strand which draped around the room ... its just not very pretty, and the wife wants it hidden by Easter.

The fronts are currently QED 79 strand (budget) because thats what I used to have.

any other opinions ?

9. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've run biwire QED Silver Anniversary to biamp my set up seems OK to me. Got it free when I bought the speakers via Sevenoaks, can't get cheaper than that.

10. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The Sommer cable is better than the QED. It's just that Studiospares are a pro-audio supplier and they don't try to rip their customers off like the hifi shops do.

I fyou believe in silver plating, skin effect etc at audio frequencies -- well, it's your money and your imagination.

11. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am sure there are those out there who would disagree with you on that one :0)

However I'm not one of them .... I too believe that some of the arguments made against speaker cables are a little questionable

The best I ever heard was 'cables are directional, if you don't believe me, turn yours around and hear the difference"

Emperors New Clothes anyone ...

However, good quality copper, silver plating, and gold contacts I can relate to.

After all I'm not trying to spend £600 on cable here, for the rears I'm looking at £5 a metre max, but will go higher on the fronts due to the shorter lengths.

12. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with Dave on this one. If you look at my sig I'm using a reasonably expensive setup and with this I'm using home made cables utilising 2.5mm flex cable tripled up with good connectors. To my ears I could tell no difference between this setup at 20p a metre and cable at £25m.

I await to be flamed ;)

John

13. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I use QED XT300 which is pretty good, nice balanced sound

14. wombatman

wombatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fear not the flames, i too use cheapo homemade wire made from twisting base copper threads. Compared these to some QED silver anniversaries and no difference on my AVR300 - MA silver system.

15. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to close this thread, for those who have been reading it ....

I decided on my speaker cable .... I went for Chord Odyssey-4 Bi-Wire for the front three speakers.

I was upgrading from QED-79 strand (old) so I guess it was one extreme to the other, as the Odyssey isn't exactly cheap.

I took the advice of MissionMan and my local Audio-T, and I must admit it was a good choice.

I did a comparative listen between my old cables and the new, and the Chord cable was MUCH better.

I'm an Electronic Engineer, and a bit sceptical about cable reviews and claims, but i DID hear a difference.

Not wanting to sound like an advert for Chord ..... but

The bass was better, the clarity was better, the stereo image wider, and I could hear things on my CDs that I hadn't heard before. Yes I was suprised too!

The Arcam AV300 amd Mission speakers seem to work well with this cable it would seem.

All I've got to do now is work out what to connect the rears with, where cost is more sensitive over approx 15m a side ... so I'll probably be looking at QED Silver Anniversary, QED Silver Micro, or Chord Carnival Silver Plus. It will all depend on what will fit in the conduit, and the overall cost.

I got the cable from an Internet Company, and got a discount too :0)

Thanks for the help

16. Mr Good

Mr Good
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thats a really nice thing to do. Waste a dealers time with advice and then buy it on line to save about 50p a metre or something. Get a little respect and appreciate the service that people give you.

17. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A very good point well made Mr Good. :thumbsup:
    Some people are just utter :censored:

18. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what the fudge!!?? :suicide:

19. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might i suggest new ears? :clown:

20. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    I agree, what a total prick. I hope he's sorry when that last of us dealers that know what customer service means die out. If you want to buy on the the net then buy on the net, but do not waste proper dealer's time with no intention of ever buying from them.

Reminds me of a sign in my local pub:

"Do not ask for credit, a punch in the mouth often offends"

21. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course in your humble opinion :lesson:

My ears are fine and my wallets a lot healthlier. If you want to beleive that paying over the top for cable is the way to go so be it.............but as long as the cable is sound and you have good connections, show me the science that says other wise?

22. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It makes me laugh that you have spent all that money on kit but skimped on the cables. :oops:
    Obviously more money than sense.

23. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again in your opinion, but what I find offensive is that you try to a ram it down my throat and then abuse me by quoting more money than sense :mad: :mad: :mad:

As I said before I can hear no difference and its not a matter of skimping, if I heard a difference on cable that cost xxx I'd pay it, but as I can't whats the point.

If you want to be further offensive to me by making personal remarks then go ahead but generally on this forum that is refrained from

24. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    EXCUSE ME ................

I don't like your tone, but you are entitled to your opinion :0)

I didn't waste anyone's time at all. I walked into my Audio-T and asked for an OPINION. I never heard the cable, borrowed any, or wasted their time auditioning.

The only reason I bought on line was because I wanted CHORD terminations, which they didn't do.

PLUS .... I've bought HiFi from them for years !

25. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    Sorry about my tone but that was not the way your story came across initially. You gave the impression that you had sat and demoed various cables at a dealer and then made you decision on the basis of that and then went off and bought online because you could save 50p a metre.

26. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I saved 10% on the Chord Odyssey and Terminations, which was more like £5 a metre saved.

However I take your point that you shouldn't waste a dealers time if you are going to buy elsewhere.

OK Dixons and Comet excluded from that :0)

If I took up a dealers time, I'd pay over the odds (within reason) for the extra service, and that fact that kit might arrive undamaged.

Companies such as Arcam are right to impose sanctions on their kit being sold on the internet. It keeps the prices up, which is good for the second hand market.

You can't buy Arcam on the internet, keeps me happy.