1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 Hi-level Sub connection w/o speakers!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by parrydave, Mar 30, 2005.

1. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have a question about high-level speaker connection between my AVR300 and a Rel Q150 sub.

My setup uses an A85 to drive FL/FR speakers, leaving the AVR300 to drive rears and centre.

Sometimes, it'd be nice to boost the bottom-end a little (e.g. some TV material seems lightweight). If i could make a high level connection between the Rel and AVR300 FL/FR, I could tweak the sub's level/roll-off to get the boost I'm looking for without altering mid-bass.

Having both LFE and high-level connections would be more flexible than just setting the fronts to small, plus they sound better as Large. Hi-level connection between sub and AVR300 rather than A85 lets me set up for AV use without interfering with stereo listening via A85 alone.

So the question is this:
    high-level connection is normally made across a 4-8ohm speaker load. As I drive my fronts separately via A85, will I damage my AVR300 by making this high-level connection without a speaker load present?

2. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Why not connect the HL feed from the A85 to the sub? This will allow the sub to work on stereo and surround.

The REL subs allow high level and LFE to be connected at the same time.

HTH

3. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply.

I like my stereo playback via A85 without the sub.
    I have a smallish room with speakers that like a lot of space. Its been quite difficult to keep the bass under control for stereo playback. Using a sub from the A85 would mean I was forever playing with the settings to get music sounding right.

So i was hoping I could keep the AV and music set-ups kinda separate.

4. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can switch of the subwoofer when playing stereo, but the A85 is your only solution for High level connection, unless you use the surround speaker output, but then you dont have all the bass you want... :lesson:

5. MikeEvo

MikeEvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a very similar set up to yours, I have an Arcam AVR100 (decoding and rear/centre), Arcam A75 (front), and a Rel Q150. The way I have connected it up is low level on the Q150 connected to the LFE on the AVR100. Then the high level is off the SP2 connection on the A75. This gives you the correct speaker load for the high level connection, and also allows you to switch the high level connection to the sub on and off by using the SP2 switch on the front of the amp. The other advantage of this, is if you ever want to use the sub for music, it can be switched on very easily. HTH

6. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmm....

so your A75 drives your front speakers on SP1 and hi-level sub on SP2.
    That sounds ideal. Especially as I can then switch the sub in and out.

Great. I'll give it a whirl this evening.