Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

AVR300 from a Denon 3802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by crobo, Mar 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Hi
    I recently acquired a DV27 and the improvement in sound quality from my previous DVD player really surprised me (the PQ is also as good as I was hoping for). I also changed speakers and got MS 914 fronts, the 905 centre, bipole rears and 909 sub.
    I am now looking ahead for further potential improvements on the sound front, since I am still happy with my 4th gen Panansonic plasma display and scaler. My receiver is the Denon 3802 which seems to do the job OK and was a marked improvement over the previous budget model. I am now of course an instant Arcam fan and am wondering about an amp. Would I notice a real improvement with an AVR300 or would I be better of spending the 1300 quid on upgrading the speakers? The AVR200 is much more affordable but I have a suspicion that it may not be any better than the Denon. I don't need any component switching/upscaling since I use a scaler anyway.
    Any thoughts on the relative merits of the 200/300 cf the Denon would be much appreciated.

2. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought the AVR300 as I mainly listen to music but wanted surround as well and I have not been disappointed. I upgraded my front speakers then so I could biamp with the 300. This worked very well and I was happy with the set up until a power amp came up and I could biamp the front three speakers via the preouts. This did make a significant difference for me and other people have commented the same in the forum. Try and get a listen for yourself then you can always do like I did and upgrade as the cash becomes available. Once you get bitten by the upgrade bug......