1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avr300 For Stereo?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by hooks, Sep 5, 2004.

1. hooks

hooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very tempted to go for an AVR300 in my planned AV set up. This amp would be used to replace my Alpha 8se amp and Alpha 8p power amp (using my Alpha 9 cd player as a main source for music with Ruark prologue II speakers bi-amped) My main concern being is the AVR300 going to be as good a stereo set up as the above , will it be an improvement on my current set up or would my money be better spent on a cheaper av amp and just reconnecting my front speakers to and from whichever amp I'm using at the time?

Many thanks in advance!

Hooks :confused:

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I would suggest you get yourself along to your local dealer and take listen for yourself, only you can decide if it sounds as good as your current stereo setup.

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Agree. Gotta give it a listen on your own.

But playback using stereo direct mode is impressive. I vaguely remember someone from Arcam saying the analog stereo performance on the AVR300 is comparable to the A80.

I don't believe it's as good as my Alpha 10, but it's surprisingly good for a AV receiver and definitely a step up from the AVR200.

4. hooks

hooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys
    You're right and of course I intend to fully audition the AVR300 in the near but it will be hard to do a direct comparison unless I can beg, steel or borrow one to try in my home set up.
    interesting comment on the A80 which I'm sure is better than the Alpha 8se although What hifi suggested it was more like the A65 ????

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know for sure the AVR300 compares to the A80. As I said I thought I remembered someone making the comparison. I could be wrong. Maybe it was the A65.

Some Arcam dealers provide loaners for in-home audition. Hopefully your dealer will.

6. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Hooks,

I had (and still have for the moment) an Arcam Alpha 8 amp and a few weeks ago I replaced it with the AVR300. In all honesty I was a quite disappointed with the AVR300 in stereo, as I expected it to sound noticeably better than the Alpha 8, consdering it's age and the price bracket (£350 at the time). I have made direct comparisons as I have the beneift of still having the Alpha 8, and as far as I can tell, the AVR300 is equal to the Alpha 8, NOT better. Some may argue, but I can't hear any improvements, maybe I don't have such 'educated' ears to pick out any subtle improvements.
    I am considering adding a dedicated stereo amp in the future to give me the performance boost that I was looking for.

7. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know the Alpha 8 but you are using stereo direct button and going in via a pair of phono leads arn't you? It can make a substantial difference...

8. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Was me! Compared the AVR300 in direct stereo from CD82t to the A85 and found no differences at all...
    Barend