1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 Fans- flight 300 clear for takeoff

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Spoonfed, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gotta AVR300 on loan for a few days.

whats the go with the fans?

They sound like a damn JET!!!!! :(

Its sitting next to my HTPC which has 2x Vantec Stealth Case fans... 80mm CPU fan.. and dual fan Vantec ION PSU ohhh add a graphics card fan.... thats 6 in total and the AVR300 is LOUDER!!!!!! sheesh

Also they seem to run all the time pretty much.

Can one disconnect them :) hehe (yeah warrenty)

The 3805 i borrowed had none of this and "seemed" to have just as much grunt... if not more... on lower volume recordings the 300 doesn't run out of puff as such.... just runs out of volume 'steps'.

Should the fans run pretty much all the time!

Its damn winter here and temps will be double here in summer :devil:

I can accept if the fans turn on/off relating to load or current..... ie say a loud section of a movie or music.... then IMMEDIATELY shut off when current/power draw is lowered.

The top of the unit barely feels warm which is strange....... it was my thinking that the fans only turn on in "emergency" situation?

I am accustomed to fan noise with a HTPC and projector above my head.... but id image it would be really annoying to ppl without such.... as it still is quite noticable to me :(

Speakers are Quad 12L's as mains (im testing stereo now.... and as i type with a room temp of 16degC and volume on a whisper they still spin :( )

Maybe the unit is faulty?

If so could maybe someone give me an indication of room temperature and the volume setting required to "normal" kick the fans on? (both stereo and multichannel)

If they only kick on at +85 volume and +30degC room temps this is acceptable....... if its something like +20degC room temps then i guess its not really designed for warm climates :(

2. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As mentioned in these two threads if the fans on the AVR300 come on at all and you haven't wrapped it in a blanket ;) , then it is probably faulty and should be returned to Arcam for a fix.

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144165

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145423

As it's a demo machine, talk to your dealer. If you are able to ignore this problem for the purposes of testing then do and don't let it discourage you from choosing to buy, as a correctly working brand new AVR300 won't exhibit any fan noise at all in normal conditions.

Charles.

3. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahhh ic.

though i wonder what "normal" conditions are for Arcam? Given its an international product sold in numerous "hot" countries i feel 35degC is a "fair" point to switch on fans.

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had a U.S. model since early May and have never noticed the fan at all. I'm not sure it's ever even come on, or if it has it's very quiet.

5. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if they are on..... and u don't have any other "items" of noise running in your room you will certainly notice it.

Its about 2x as loud as an Xbox.......... as loud.... or probably more than a normal PC.

6. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    You have a new PM.

Andrew

7. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    What the .... !!
    I got mine about 4 weeks ago, had to get the demo machine as it was the only one they had and I didn't want to wait for one.
    The fans on mine are "always" ON, I just thought this was normal, even though it IS very noisy and I can hear it ALL the time.
    I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow.

8. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Well what can I say.
    I contacted my dealer on Sunday and told him about the fan problem. He got in touch with Arcam yesterday and called me to say Arcam will send him a replacement model right away. I even asked him to see if they wouldn't mind sending one in black (one I originially wanted but the dealer didn't have any) and Arcam said it's not a problem. To day the dealer phoned to tell me that the replacement has arrived (yep, in black) and I could pick it up whenever I want. I'll be picking it up tomorrow during my lunch break.
    Is this fantastic customer support or what !? 2 days is all it took, no hassle, no waiting on the phone line for hours.
    A B I G T H A N K Y O U Arcam.

9. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Arcam did something similar for me. I had a RCA female connector come out on the back within the first month. Arcam replaced my AVR300 with a new one and I also switched from a Silver one to Black. The black looks really nice. Much more dramatic than Silver (which still looks much nicer than anyone else's silver finish).

Arcam support is the best in the business. It feels like they take personal interest in your satisfaction.

Dean

10. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My fan is on all the time. Bugger, looks like a replacement then.

Gerald. :mad: