AVR300 Fair comparisons

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by vjcinemas, Jun 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. vjcinemas

vjcinemas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Home Cinema magazines often compare products within the same price range such as the Arcam AVR300 and Denon's 3805.

Has anyone has compared the AVR300 with the £1800 Denon AVC-A11SR which is available for £1200 over the internet?

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,717
    In terms of the key features of the AVR300 (flexibility of input and amp assignment, musicality in stereo and multichannel), I would be very keen to see a comparitive test of the AVR300 and the Rotel RSX1056 which is about the same price. Obviously the Rotel is two channels down on the Arcam but is designed around a similar ethos and has very similar inputs and assignment features. I'm sure that somebody will do it sooner or later.

3. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, the latest home cinema magazine compares these

avr300 = 87%
    3805 = 90%
    630 = 92%
    rsx-1056 = 95%
    rx-v2400rds = 89%

in other words they thought the rotel was the best and the arcam was worst (though they are all good scrores)

CaM

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,717
    Thanks for the heads up- I'm staggered that the Rotel won though. The trifling detail that to get 7 channels out of it is a not inconsiderable £600 extra would mark it down pretty heavily for value in my book. I felt it has the most similar design philosophy behind it to the AVR300 however.

5. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they said it would take only £350 to get a matching power amp giving it a total price of £1500.

interesting how the arcam came last though....

CaM

6. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Me too...
    From what I read in the German HC mags, they're often less interested in the pure sound quality than in the features.
    Or maybe we've all been fooled by Arcamians parroting each other and overseeing any fault like lovers often do...
    The fact that Arcam "forgot" to include the sub in the test tone cycle, thus warranting an upgrade, tells us something, that is the fact that some British manufacturers can be rather sloppy.
    And what exactly is a "warm sound" exactly?
    Raised mids?
    Not sure, but my one time Arcam 7 amp (I think it was) had a rather muffled sound and lacked clarity. Marry it to a pair of equally timbred speakers and it's like listening to an old radio...
    Also, it was an ugly plasticky animal.
    Barend

7. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, to be fair to the avr300 they still included it in there top 100 at the back of the magazine so they still really liked it...after all 87% is high.

I think the point was though that the rotel had almost the same quality in stereo sound but was that little bit clearer with the vocals of movies - more detailed they said.

They loved the denon remote where as most users seem to hate it so go figure.

CaM

8. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Kinda harsh to name Arcam as "sloppy" when lots of others have made mistakes of the equal, or worse.

I actually found it very refreshing to have a company that listens, answers and fixes problems from their customers. They admitted fault, i can't remember the last product i owned that the manufacturer did that.

The mag review i thought was fair, they came to much the same kind of conclusions as me. I just don't understand the score at the end. Guess thats personal taste again.

9. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >> And what exactly is a "warm sound" exactly?

a fullness in the lower midrange/upper bass (hi-fi choice)

if i was going to buy any of those amps it would be the arcam...though the arcam its self was missing pwr-in's so it was wasn't suitable.

CaM

10. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barend, you can't help yourself can you, you find every opportunity to have a dig at Arcam. whether or not your an Arcam owner.
    I'm not blind to Arcam's failures but you just want to belittle them. At least they seem to be honest and contribute here, John Dawson & Andy Dutton should be applauded for their attitude to customer support and admitting when they have made a mistake.

11. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with sticker. Barend's rants are getting a little old.

12. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe he works for the competition... :devil:

13. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Antonio you old lag, I didn;t want to spell out the obvious :devil:

14. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    East Anglia (well someone has to live there!)
    Ratings:
    +19
    Oooo Barend writes a complimentary comment about Arcam and Bush admits there were no weapons of mass destruction.

Sorry must dash. My pig is ready for take off :D

15. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

Think you mean my remark on the Alpha series?
    I am a critical bugger, sure I am...
    Yeah I never liked their looks, but I loved my A85.
    I don't like the Diva's looks either, they say to me "See how minimal we look? We cost a bunch!".
    Well, so minimal you can't even read the button texts...and did you ever look at the remotes? Will say no more!
    The A85 was nicer IMO, it did have something "technical" to show on the fascia, dad loves that...
    To finish on a positive note: Arcam always had balance knobs, while many other High End Rulers leave it out for no real reason at all (get another room, you simple man, you don't deserve me!).
    Must feed the pig now, sorry must dash. :laugh:
    Barend