1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300/DV79 problems..

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Lameway, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Lameway

Lameway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any advice would be helpful here guys and girls..

Got an AVR300 & DV79 (2-3 months old each) running a pair of Monitor Audio Silver S8s bi-amped on the front, Silver LCR centre, Silver SFX rears and a REL Stampede.

All was well in the first month or so, but then increasingly when I was watching a DVD then Dolby Digital would drop out and there would be no sound (but still picture) and briefly onscreen you would see the AVR300 menu overlaying showing it flicking between Analogue and Digital sources, as if it couldn't lock on to the bitstream.. Only way to fix it was to pause/rewind the DVD and press play again, making sound return.

However, over the past few days, when sound was lost the amp seemed to be having a hissy fit, with the overlay showing Dolby Digital 0.0, then PLII Movie (the default for DVD if no Dolby stream is found) and now and again you'll hear the odd splurge of sound for about half a second then all would be silent.

Came to watch a DVD last night and the amp would not produce any sound (although it's still switching the video fine) and just kept flicking onscreen between Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital 0.0 and PLII Movie with no sound.

This all only happens when using the DD chip, so i'm thinking that might have shot itself in the foot maybe? When I use CD for instance, I'm running a pair of analogue interconnects from the DV79 to the amp, all is fine for hours upon hours even now.

Sorry for the long winded post but i'd love a solution or I'm going to have to send the amp off to Arcam and be without music and movies - typical - just when I'm on holiday for 2 weeks! :mad:

Anyone help??

(AVR300 software = 300 - 3.01, DSP v1.12)

Just as I turned the amp on to check that software version there is a sound of static through the speakers!! Turned the amp immediately to prevent any damage.

HELP! :lease:

2. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Lameway,

Just to try and eliminate a few of the possibilities. Have you tried a different cable between DVD and AMP? Also, have you got another DVD plyer you could try attaching to the AMP, or maybe borrow a friends to try it out?

Honestly it does not sound good from your description, but if you could narrow down the culprit, it could help to decide what is needed to fix it.

Cheers

Andy

3. Lameway

Lameway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Andy,

I've tried a different DVD player (with a different digital coax cable) and still the same problems, so it suspect it must be the amplifier.

It's nothing down to software is it? It just seems to me when the DVD player might be changing scenes the AVR300 loses its lock on the Dolby stream.

Is my software quite out of date (v3.01) as it seems most people have got much newer versions, seeing as I only bought the amp in May?

Thanks,

Jon

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I would suggest taking it to your dealer who will be able to upgrade it to the latest version of the software which may solve the problem. If not then it will have to go back to Arcam via your dealer.

5. burgeruk

burgeruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    don't mean to hijack this thread but:
    what is the latest software release,and how do i find what the software version my dv79 has?
    i only bought mine last wednesday delivered to my dealer that day,i've only had one problem to speak of except,when i inserted a dvd(prob downloaded from net and converted to dvd) copied from a friends who bought it from a market trader, the machine locked up and wouldn't respond,the only way to remove the disc was to press open on the remote as soon as i turned on the power from the on/off switch on the player :cool:

6. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Burger,

Please check out the sticky at the top of the Arcam forum for details of software.

Thanks

Andy

7. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Excuse the over riding approach but i would get the unit straight back to your dealer.
    It should work with whatever cables/pleyers you throw at it without question.
    It is a fantastic all round amp.
    My AVR300 is running software that is as old as the hills and i have never had a problem with it at all.
    It seems to me (IMHO) that the new software/updates seem to have more bugs than it fixes.

Regards