1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300/DV79 In Need of Some Expert Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mremulator, Sep 29, 2005.

1. mremulator

mremulator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I'm a little concerned that the bass management settings on my DV79 may be clashing with the settings on my AVR300.

I totally understand what "Small" and "Large" speakers are and how crossovers work. I have set my 4X KEF Q35 speakers and Q95C centre speaker to "small" on my AVR300, with an 80Hz crossover. Anyway, what I'm having trouble understanding is what to set the speaker sizes to on the DV79 to for analogue out?

In the AVR300 manual it just says that there is no "bass management" for DVD-A players via the analogue inputs. However, it does not explain exactly how Arcam define "bass management" ? I always thought that meant speaker sizes and crossover frequency only for speakers set as "small". Does this also include speaker levels/delays etc?

So I was wondering if I can I have my speakers set as "Large" on my DV79 for DVD-A (analogue out) and "Small" on my AVR300 for Movies (Digital in)?

Movies sound fantastic with my current settings, however, I want to get the best sound from DVD-A and stereo... so I have set my 4X Q35's to "Full" and the centre to "Small" on the DV79, and was wondering if they are all converted back to "Small" on the AVR300?

In addition, if my front speakers are 3 metres away from the viewing position, do I specify 3 metres in delays on both the AVR300 and DV79? If I did that on both would that not make the distance 6 metres in total and therefore be wrong?

If anyone knows exactly how bass management works on the Arcam please help me out.

2. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you are describing is what many people face when setting up for DVD-A/SACD. Unless you are using iLink or HDMI you will have to set up your speaker size/crossover etc on the DVD player. This IS the bass management for analogue inputs for DVD-A/SACD. So yes you can have your speakers set to different sizes on your player and amp so that your preferences for each medium are satisfied!!

Hope this helps a bit

Skinny

3. mremulator

mremulator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I found the answer for my question about the DV79 delays: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245800&highlight=avr300+delays
    However, I still think the term "bass management" could be a little better explained in the user manuals. This stuff can be very confusing if you are not in the know. :rolleyes: