AVR300 + DV79 for Dummies

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Janibrewski, Oct 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Janibrewski

Janibrewski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new at this.

I have an AVR300 and DV79.

I have connected the two via a coax optical cable.

Is it advisable to also connect via an analogue cable, even though I don't plan to have a second "zone" nor use a VCR?

I've read that using the analogue connection will use the DACs in the DV79, instead of the AVR300 - is that a good thing? Once I add the analogue cable - how would I select between using the two?

Last - is Neo6 Music only for multi-channel music? If I want to listen to 2 channel, music, is "Stereo PCM" the best option? That's what I'm doing today.

:lease:

THANK YOU in advance,
    Janibrewski

2. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Janibrewski, I use Neo 6 when using all my regular CD's and it creates a soundfield using the LRC and additionally it sends a very faint signal to your rear surrounds. Kinda converts the 2ch to 3 and 1/2. Nice mix using the left, right, and center mains, and just a less signal in strength to the rears. I love Neo 6 with the CD33, actually it dominates thie format. Once in a while I use 2ch direct, not too often anymore though. Multichannel uses the 5 discretes channels and one for the sub. Though there are some very good DVD-As out there, I love using the Neo 6 for plain CD's with a 5.1 setup :smashin:

3. ginaandlee

ginaandlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For best stereo (IMO), connect the L&R analog out on the DV79 to the CD in on the AVR300. Keep the digital connection for DVD or NEO9 use, use the CD and stereo direct for 2 channel music. The DACS in your DV79 should be better than the AVR300 when playing stereo music, but you can compare to the PCM input and see what you prefer.

4. Janibrewski

Janibrewski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you WRG and ginaandlee!!!

5. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As you can see from my sig I have a DV78 and AVR250 and I also have Gallo speakers with the speaker size set to Small. The DV78 and AVR250 are connect via coax only. I currently listen to CD's using Stereo PCM but I agree the NEO:6 Music does sound good too.

If I were to use Stereo Direct would I lose the use of the sub for CD playback? Will I run the risk of damaging my A'Diva speakers if the sub is by-passed and the full range is sent to just the FL and FR?

Thanks in advance.

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    If you use stereo direct, you will lose the output to the sub. I've got an AVR300 connected to Gallo Micros and have had no problems running in stereo direct.

John

7. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the info. I will hook up Stereo Direct and see how it sounds, I am concerned that without the sub it may sound a bit bright.

8. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Not sure what the ADivas are like but the Micros don't do bass very well (not at all?) so listening in stereo direct is somewhat lacking in that department but I've found a lot depends on the type of music being listened to.

John

9. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Having Micros for the rears and A'Divas up front I have had the oppotunity to test the bass performance of both. The Micros do produce quite good bass performance considering their size but the A'Dvias are significantly better in all regards and bass performance is significantly better than the Micros. Despite that, I am still dubious about how well the A'Diva will perform for stereo without the sub. I will post my thoughts later...

10. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    OK, here are comments but bear in mind that I have 'small' front speakers.

Analogue CD IN - Direct Stereo

Direct Stereo means only the front left and right spreakers are delivering audio and the sub is not utilized. My little A'Divas just can't cut it, there is so much missing from the music is really brings home just how much a sub adds. Not viable with 'small' speakers IMO, much too bright and no depth to the music.

Analogue CD IN - Stereo

Disabling Direct Stereo immediately brings the sub in and the music sounds full and complete again. The reproduction is not a detailed as Stereo PCM (see below) and I am putting that down to the quality of the DAC in the DV78 and the fact the signal is going through 2 rounds of D to A and 1 round of A to D conversion whereas Stereo PCM is going through 1 round of D to A.

Despite that, I can't quite decide which I prefer. Although I can hear some of the higher frequencies are not as detailed the mid ranges sound more full and warm.

Digital Coax DVD IN - Stereo PCM

Definately the more detailed of the options, music has more presence and the timing is better. On balance this is probably the configuration I will stick with long term. But having the Stereo mode via Analogue In does give me some options to change setups for different music.

I also agree with johndon's comments earlier, the lack of bass is more (or less) pronounced depending on the music being listened to. For example when playing Norah Jones the differences were very subtle indeed but switch to Maroon 5 is was clearly apparent what was missing.

Anyone got any observations on any of this?

11. ginaandlee

ginaandlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a way around the lack of sub on stereo direct.

Use speaker wire to connect from the L&R on the AVR300 to the high level input on the sub. Use the crossover on the sub and then send the signal to your speakers using another pair of speaker cables from the line out on the sub. This way, your speakers only get the +80hz (or whatever the crossover is set to), the sub does all the bass.

To be honest though, while stereo direct is nice, i do like the NEO6 surround the AVR300 produces from 2 channel CDs.

12. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ginaandlee, yep the setup you recommend is something which my sub is capable of doing but I haven't had the time or the high level input adapter to test it :-( This is something I want to experiment with but adding yet more cables is not something I keen to do either. The long darks nights are on the way so I will put this on my TODO list :)

My farther-in-law is an old school audiophile, during his next visit I was hoping to have a variety of stereo listening options setup to keep him amused ;-)