1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 & DTS ES-6.1 Problem

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Shaka, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hello,

I've just had my AVR300 replaced due to the fan problem mentioned in other threads (fan comes on even when the unit is cool). I picked up the replacement unit today and have set it all up exactly as before (as far as I'm aware!!!) Everything is working fine except I'm having problems playing DTS-ES 6.1 encoded discs (Lord Of The Rings special editions) in DTS. I get no sound, but if I put my ear next to the speakers I can hear the sound (very faint) for a split second every second or so. The AVR300 displays the DTS logo on the display panel, so it's obviously found the signal. If I change to DTS stereo/mono downmix I get sound, but not in standard "DTS 5.1" surround mode. The discs work fine with the Dolby Digital audio setting. I can't figure out what I need to do as I had no problems playing these same discs in DTS before I got the unit replaced.
    Incidently, discs with standard 5.1 DTS encoding are played perfectly in DTS. It's only the DTS-ES 6.1 discs that aren't playing. It's got to be something to do with the 6.1 encoding and I've only got a 5.1 speaker setup, but this is the same setup as before. Have I forgotten to change something in the menu? I've gone through it a dozen times now, but can't seem to spot anything different. BTW I've set up the system for bi-amplification, just as before.
    PLEASE HELP !!!!!

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you have software version 2.84 (press DVD and SAT buttons on the front panel simultaneously to find out)?

If so, you need to upgrade to version 2.90, which fixes this problem.

There was a discussion about this in this thread.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    As dwette says above this is a glitch that Arcam have fixed with software release 2.90. Take your AVR300 into your dealer who will upgrade it for you. If you have a pc with an RS232 serial port and a null modem cable I can send the software to you for you to apply the upgrade yourself although this is done entirely at your own risk.

4. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hmm, I am picking up my AVR300 tomorrow, how likely is it to have the latest software loaded, or should I open it in shop and get it done there and then?

doing it myself is no problem, but I'd like to have it to latest spec out of the box as it were :)

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    It is very likely to have 2.84 on it, get the dealer to check it before you leave and upgrade it if necessary. I now do this for all Arcam AV products before the customer takes them away.

6. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Morning chaps,

Yes my unit IS 2.84. Thanks for letting me know. That's a relief as I thought I had a buggered unit. I'll upgrade the software tonight. I'll be able to download it from Audiophile Systems website.

cheers guys,

7. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Upgraded the software to 2.90 and it fixed the problem.
    Thanks for the info.