1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 direct mode ( 44.1kHz PCM without DSP )

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by cjohnson6, Sep 9, 2005.

1. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi All,

I'm relatively new to the AVR300, mine's just 2 months old, and I'm still getting used to it's features. What I'd like to know is how I allow good old 44.1kHz PCM from the co-ax input to pass through the inboard DAC without it also going through the DSP chip. Page E-13 of the manual states that any of the 'Stereo modes' in the sub woofer settings allow the signal to pass through the DSP chip. It goes on to say that pressing the direct button bypasses the DSP chip. Doing that causes my system to revert to the analogue input.

Do anyone know how I can select a direct mode and a digital input simultaneously?

Thanks

2. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Sorry, the Direct Mode is for analogue sources only and doesn't work with digital inputs.

3. hedrick@rutgers

hedrick@rutgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure this question is meaningful. Direct mode makes sense for analog because it bypasses converting to digital and back to analog. The point isn't to avoid the DSP but to avoid the double conversion. With digital input you're already in the digital domain so going through the DSP doesn't involve any extra conversion. With analog every stage you go through adds a little noise. But in the digital domain that's not necessarily the case. Going through the DSP shouldn't matter unless the DSP is actually doing something. Multiplying the single by 1 as it goes through has no effect. I'm only assuming, but it seems reasonable to think that if you've turned off all effects, the DSP will just pass the signal unchanged.

4. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks Guys,

I didn't think there was a simple solution... The reason I think it's meaningful is the Arcam DSP applies speaker delays to the PCM signal even when you have no effects. The upshot of this is it skews the sound stage something terrible if you have even the slightest difference between the fronts ( there was only 0.2m in it ). I've set my speakers to be equi-distant, even though they're not, just to get around this problem.

So, I have a few options here. I still like the Arcam digital input for loud rock / pop but I don't think it's too good for quieter vocals etc. That's where the analogue ( direct ) input comes into play and I really like that too. But, I still have an Audiolab 8000DAC which I really really like and am keen to use in my set-up somehow. I just need to figure out the best way to connect 2 co-axial outputs from the back of my Denon 3910.

Thanks again