1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 - Diff between NEO and Dolby?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by wombatman, May 6, 2005.

1. wombatman

wombatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - When playing CD music via digital link, what is the diff between Neo and Dolby music modes? What is the technical explaination for this?

Thanks!

2. sploo

sploo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have read - so I may be way off here - that when given a 2 channel source, both modes use a matrix to create the sound for your speakers.

The difference, from what I understand, is that Neo better preserves the sound coming out of your front left/right speakers (i.e. you get stereo + additional sound). Dolby modes produce sound for the surround speakers, but what comes out of the fronts is slightly different from straight stereo.

I usually find that processing 2 channel music as surround doesn't really do it any favours, however I quite like the sound of Neo 6 Music - to me it sounds like stereo, but with a little added 'ambience', and doesn't sound too processed.

3. GarySargent

GarySargent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found NEO had a tendancy to put hi hats to the rear which sounded odd. PLII music seems a bit more natural to me, though the bass seems weak.