1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 details

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by lmccauley, Nov 10, 2003.

1. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Just a quick post to tell you about the AVR300 engineering sample I saw at The Event II.

It is 7.1 (if using it in 5.1 mode, then spare channels can be used to bi-amp fronts, or to drive a second zone) and supports DD EX, DTS24/96, DPL IIx. DSP chipset is Crystal CS49400. It has video upconversion from composite or s-video to component. 3 component inputs (which can carry European RGBS video when combined with composite inputs and inputs for w/s switching - using a special SCART cable).

What else? 8-channel input (& pre-outs). 100Wpc with all 7 channels driven. It weighs a fair bit (don't know the numbers, but I carried it from the car-park to PJ Hifi and was glad that it wasn't too much further). Audio delay up to 200 ms.

It's due out sometime in the first quarter/half of next year with a price tag around the £1300/$2000 mark, and I think I may see about getting a home demo to compare it with my Alpha 10 + DAVE.

Cheers,
    Liam

2. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The specs sound very interesting.
    I may look at one of these to possibly replace my Denon A11SR.

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Nice :)

4. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I realise I'm pushing my luck in asking this, but is John Dawson able to reveal whether the AVR300 will be in the same ballpark as the A85/A90 in terms of its absolute sound quality, especially in pure stereo mode. I have just taken delivery of Arcam's new DV78, which I will use to send a digital bitstream for decoding by the amp.

While I appreciate this is a subjective question to ask, it is a likely combination of source components that must have been put through its paces by Arcam's backroom boys, and whatever John feels able to reveal would help me decide whether the 3-4 month wait for the AVR300 will be worth it for me....

Will.

5. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good question. I use an A85 with a Marantz SR4200. If the AVR300 is not as good in stereo as the A85, I'd get it to replace the SR4200. Of course, if the difference is marginal, I'd get rid of both the A85 and 4200, that should go a long way in financing the AVR300 :)

6. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very intersting. Chuck in a MCACC type thing and iLink (or what ever its nom du jour is) and I'll be first in the queue.