1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 - Couple of Questions

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by galewis1, Nov 9, 2004.

1. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hey everyone. Just a couple of questions regarding the AVR300.

1. I have bi-amped my front left and right speakers using channels 6 + 7 as per the manual. However, I have noticed that pressing the Zone 2 button on the front panel still allows you to change the volume on Zone 2. It doesn't seem to effect the sound in any way, but I was wondering if it should be set at a fixed value (e.g. 0-db) or should I change it to match the volume of the main volume every time. That would be a pain!

2. I also noticed that the manual, page 29 (or my manual at least), and the back panel legends are at odds regarding the 4 /8 ohm speaker impedence switch. The manual clearly shows the switch in the down position for 8 ohm loads, but the back panel is labelled exactly the opposite. One of these is right, which is it?

3. When I drop into standby mode, there is no red led near the power switch. Also, when I power up, the green led isn't very bright. I only noticed this as a result of buying a DV89 and noticing the red led comes on in stand-by and how bright the green led is on power-up. Is there a setting to adjust this, or should I be concerned?

Thanks

Gary

2. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Yeah i noticed that too. I just took what was on the back of the amp as right.

Definately should be a red light in standby, something wrong there. The green
    brightness is dimmer on my avr compared to my cd62. Depends on how dim yours is i guess.

3. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bugger!

I am driving 4ohm speakers and because I can't easily get to the back of my AVR300, I relied on the manual to select the impedance setting.

I'd better check.

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    From the HiFi News AV/Tech AV Receiver group test (Aug 2004) ...

5. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cwick

:confused: I'm not sure I fully understand this. Should I set the switch to 4ohm even though I'm using 8 ohm speakers? Does anyone have the definitive answer as to which is right regarding the switch (ie back panel or the manual)?

Thanks

Gary

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Ah, you've caught me out :) I don't fully understand it either, but happen to have 4ohm speakers so it's a no brainer for me (good thing too).

Hopefully someone with a clue will join in .... would be nice to get confirmation on whether the manual or the amp is right though - my money's on the amp.

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've got 8 ohm speakers and was advised by my dealer to set the impedance at 4ohm.

John

8. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Would Mr Dawson care to comment? Why would a dealer recommend 4ohm settings for 8ohm speakers and can it do any damage?

Ta muchly....

Gary

9. mrkeeling

mrkeeling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, all that “4ohm is better” is really confusing. I tried both settings (my speakers are 8ohm and I have AVR200) and it definitely sounds (for the lack of the better word) thinner on 4ohm.
    It all very much depends on how nasty your speakers are and how big resistance dip they have.

Andy gave a pretty nice explanation of all that 4 – 8 ohm confusion
    HERE

10. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I recently spoke to Arcam technical support who confirmed that the manual has a missprint regarding the 4ohm/8ohm switch. The back of the amp is correct.

I have PMC DB1s fronts and kef kht 1005 rears all of which are 8ohm loads. These coupled with a Rel Q400E sub.

The only thing I notice is that to get a decent volume level when I start at the 25db level I can barely hear it at a distance of 9-10 feet, I then increase the volume level to 40db and it has increased slightly then on to 50db which is a level that you can also carry out a conversation, but I need to increase the level to at least 65db when listening to a DVD and preferably 70db. Any increase above this seems to rise at an accelerated pace. Any one else noticed this, is this normal for digital amps perhaps?

By the way the sound quality is absolutely awsome with all sources.

11. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

12. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, that's normal. I watch TV at 60-70 db. DVD movies 70-80 db. If I go to 90 db (I use 2 Alpha 10P amps for front/center/side surr) I'm getting 100+ db volumes levels on a SPL (e.g. with LOTR DTS ES).

Arcam amp sections are not digital, BTW.

13. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

The reason for the volume becoming much louder at the top is because the AVR300 has a logarithmic volume control which is in calibrated dB steps.

The practical upshot of this is that the volume approximately doubles every 10 steps (10dB) so going from 10 to 20 doesnt make much of a change because 10 is a fairly low volume to start with so 2x it is no very loud. by the time you have got to 70dB it is fairly loud so if you double it it gets very loud.

Regards,
    Andrew

14. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Andy for clarifying the volume control settings.

Dwette, I have only hit the mid to high 70db settings at most, because at these levels the peaks when watching a DVD hits 108db which is pretty loud, most of this comes from the Rel sub particularly whilst watching Top Gun with its strong base notes.

The other thing I've noticed is that it occasionally locks up completely with the 5 led lights on to the left of the tape led. The only way to clear is to turn power off with the front power switch. This has only happened twice, today was the latest, it had only been on for about 20 minutes listening to a cd in direct mode at a volume setting of 55db. I reduced the volume to about the 28db setting and it locked up.

Anyone any ideas on this one?

15. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Probably the reason I have higher volume control settings is becuase I have 4 ohm Dynaudios, which have lower sensitivity (86 db) than speakers on average. They need more power to drive them at loud levels.

I've had that happen as well on occasion, but not recently. I've reported it to Andrew before, but have been unable to come up with a reproducable sequence of events to cause it. For some reason the thing just crashes and a hard reboot (power cycle) is the only way to clear it. I believe that when it does happen it's associated with switching between inputs where one is on stereo direct and the other is on DSP processing.