1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 & cooling fan

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by andyasb, Aug 1, 2004.

1. andyasb

andyasb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all,

Read a couple of posts about the cooling fan on the AVR300. Got a 300 on Friday, ex-demo. 15 mins after switching on, nothing being amplified, the fans will kick in, and after 5 mins be on full power, which is VERY noisy! They'll run almost constantly during a film, despite the amp not feeling that hot.

Amp is in a rack / glass shelf, 10cm clear above it.

Is anybody else getting this with this hot weather or do I have a dodgy AVR300? As an ex-demo model, should I hold out for a replacement or just repair? Shop had it running in a sealed cabinet, so I'm guessing they never heard the thing....

A

2. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Hi.

My first one did a similar thing and was replaced.

My second is doing it again but not as bad as the first one....Arcam actually told me they want to replace it again ( nice of them )..it's weird...the fans seem to start up when i have the volume lower for watching tv than the higher volume i have it set to when watching films.

They told me it should only ever start up when pusehd beyond it's capabilties..and watching sky+ at 50 - 60db is not pushing it at all.

Also they told me the fans should tell themselves off when cool enough...i left mine on overnight to test it and the fans were still going the next morning...so it must be a fault.

Apart from that..i love the amp.

Arcam's customer service it really the most impressive i have ever known.How many companies offer to replace products without you having to nag and ask?

3. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One good reason to buy denon 3805 rather than avr300 - no fan. Heatsinks are miles better than fans as you can always always hear fans in quiet sections or speech!

4. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Arcam AVR300 has a very big heatsink, it's principal cooling device. As mentioned before the AVR300's fans should not come on at all during normal use, they're there for safety. This shouldn't be a reason for not buying one. Of course, if you prefer the sound of a different amp, that's a different matter :) .

Charles.

5. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I will stick to my AVR300 if you don't mind.

The 3805 just does not give me what i want.

6. andyasb

andyasb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the messages all. Won't be taking up the Denon 3805 though ;) !

Arcam customer support have been superb over both phone and email and have agreed to replace the unit! Very impressed with people I've dealt with...

7. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep Arcam Customer services does rock.

The Denon not having any fans wouldnt make me sleep well at night after owning a Denon AVR 3300 that blew up do to over heating one new years eve, 9 months old and took 3 months to get back from repair, id much rather have fans as back up to heat sinks thanks :)

Spike

8. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that fans can be noisy, I had two in a computer and changed them for ones that a are a lot quieter, anyways.....

I have an AVR300 and on occasion it is pushed quite gard for an hour or two and the fans never, ever come on. My amp is out in the open ATM but am considering making myself a long low AV cabinet to hold all the stuff and stick the telly on top. I had better make sure there is plenty of ventilation.

Do you recomend one of those wind tunnels that car manufacturers use?

9. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont think you really need to worry about ventilation to much, i have mine in a closed pine unit (no back) with about 7.5 cm clearance at the top - fans have yet to come on even with the door of the unit shut and running at 75 db

Picture:

[​IMG]

Spike

10. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The fans in the AVR300 should not come on under normal operating conditions, they are an emergency back up for units in poorly ventilated or very hot environments. The sensor should cause the fans to come on at 85 deg C on the heatsink. That is really hot, hot enough that if you touched it you would take you hand off imediately, but it shoudln't burn you in that short time. The cover of the AVR300 prevents you from touching the surface of the heatsink but even the cover will be very hot by the time the fans coms on.

Some units unfortunately have a sensor that is out of its tolerance and can cause the fans to come on far to early. Obviously we will fix or replace these units under warrenty. All of the sensors are now being checked on the production line to make sure no more units get out with this problem.

Sorry for this error getting out into the field.
    I hope this clears up any confusion.

Regards
    Andrew

11. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Andy,

The info and apology are welcome.

Unfortunately, I have taken a week off work to assemble my Home Cinema. With the Amp being bottom in the cabinet, it means I now have to leave my living room looking like a bomb site for weeks untill I get a chance to replace The AVR300 with another. It will be weeks before I can get home again as I work away.

This is really annoying!

Gerald.

PS. Amp and DV79 very slow to respond to remote and very poor acceptance angle. Also, why no OSD on DV79 when on Prog scan, the lack of this feature is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Also, why does DV79 display not dim like the AVR300, another annoying omission :confused:

12. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Although no great fan of Arcam/Courier atm after waiting all day Friday for a replacement AVR300 which apparently "walked" from the van :mad:

Yet again dealer to the rescue with a replacement demo unit for the time being.

With regards to previous posters last 2 points, I took my DV79 to friends to hook up to his Sagem 50" DLP RPTV, I connected via component, set PS output on menu screen and there was no loss of setup screen.

also my DV79 has on/dim/off on display.

13. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Radioactive man.

Thanks for the info. Yes, the setup screen works but only by putting up a solid background (possibly overiding the prog scan pic). However......... the other pop up items (Volume up and down, surround mode selection, etc, etc, etc) do not appear. As my units are sighted across the room in a cabinet, trying to view the AVR300 display is an impossibility. This IMHO is a fairly serious oversight on Arcams part. If you end up in the "wrong" surround mode, how do you get back without walking across the room to view the display. When I am bogged down with pop corn and Hagen Daaz ice cream and looking and feeling like a beached whale this is not going to help me enjoy the movie.

Re the display dimming on the DV79, looks like I missed this one so apologies to Arcam. Mind you, if it is on the DV79 remote control and not available on the AVR300 remote control, what is the point??!! One of the main reasons for choosing this unit was the ability to use one remote for the two units.

Anyway, last of my days off tomorrow so back to reality and getting some work done repacking the duff AVR300.

Cheers all.

Gerald. :oops:

14. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    It is available on the AVR300 remote. Select 'DVD' at the top of the remote then use the 'Info' button to dim the DVD player display. I haven't checked but this is most likely explained in the manual supplied with the AVR300 and the remote.

15. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite right Crustyloafer, thank you.

As I said my apologies to Arcam.

Only home for a week and besides setting up the system I have been fitting new toys to the car, sorting friends burglar alarm, sorting brothers computers, sorting brothers roller shutter door, sorting brothers Alarm system, measuring daughters kitchen for new units, etc, etc, etc. Not enough hours in the day or days in the week. Obviously missed a few system details due rushing, but still well hacked off with the faulty AVR300 cooling system.

Cheers, Gerald. :)

16. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a problem about fans turning on after an hour of moderate playing.

I then reread the manual, and included the Safety guidelines (which i skipped the first time to get to the juicy bits :oops: ). Here it is clearly stated that a minimum of 5cm (2 inches) is needed for adequate cooling. By regrouping my equipment, I got 8cm of distance to the shelf above, which has proven to be enough. I have never heard the fans after this change.

As long as the fans never turn on, I don't see any problem with them being there. The sound of the Arcam AVR 300 is definately what I have been looking for, and to this date I can not think of any other integrated surroundreceiver performing so well on both surround and stereo material. Applause to the Arcam engineers are in order. :clap:

Conclusion: It turned out that only 2-3cm (1 inch) of air above the unit (which I had at first :nono: ) was not enough to keep the unit cool and composed to do its job. So next time I will read the manual more carefully.

17. calgaryjohn

calgaryjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello to the Forum this is my first post. I have had the avr300 for a month now and noticed a similar fan problem to the previous poster. My units' fan comes on after 10 minutes whether I watch at 65 db or 45 db. I have it in a cabinet with 3 inches clearance above and the fan's noise projects out of the cabinet! So unfortunately my first post is a problem which isn't fair because I really am happy with the receiver in all of the other aspects; sound, looks, configurability. So I talked to my dealer and he said lets exchange the unit and see what happens. I will keep you posted.
    John

18. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Sounds like you were unlucky enough to get one of the earlier ones. I had one on demo which sounded like an jet engine once the fans kicked in. The one I have doesn't have the problem wven if it's switched on all day.

John

19. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just when I thought everything was sorted out, those fans decided to turn on again!

I am rather annoyed now. The story is as follows:

I bought the unit used as a demo unit. At first the fan would come on when I had too little air above the unit. I solved this by rearranging the arrangement of the shelves. Then I heard nothing of the fans for several weeks.

Then I discovered that there was no sound in the subwoofer during calibration. So I decided to go for a software upgrade. This was from version 2.67 of the software to 3.16, and a DSP 1.12 upgrade as well. This I did only 2 days ago, and now the fans turn on again. The unit is not especially hot to the touch when this happens.

So my question is: Do the software upgrade in some way affect the heat sensitivity of the fans? This is extremely annoying, and if the fans continue to turn on, I will have to sell the unit and find another amp. Silence is an absolute demand for me, so the fans turning on is not an option.

20. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Sounds like you have a very early unit. I'm am confident that Arcam will assist you in getting this sorted out to their usually high standard.

21. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I am in Norway, and am at the mercy of the Norwegian importer, which seemed like they had never even done a software upgrade.

You may be right about the fact that this is an early unit. It has been used as a test sample for several hifi magazines here in Norway.

22. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Getting the fan problem sorted out is not just a matter of updating the firmware, it requires a physical component change inside the machine. It will need to go back to Arcam themselves or one of their appointed repair agents if they have one over there.

23. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Good point BUT in my opinion, there is no comparison between 3805 and avr300.

24. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, but the fan problem wasn't there before I upgraded the software recently. Strange...

25. calgaryjohn

calgaryjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This post is an update to my previous noisy fan issue. My dealer received the new unit (black as before) and I brought my original one back we swapped arcams and I took it home. I am an expert now at setting up and I knew after 10 minutes the fan problem was solved. I suspect it was an older unit with new software so thank you K & W Audio for making it easy to fix.
    :clap: :thumbsup: John

26. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now got a fan problem again. In the summer, the room temperature rises to 24 degrees C, and this seems to cause the fan to turn on after a while, even at low volumes around 40-50dB. There is now plenty of air around the unit, so it seems like I have a faulty heat sensor after all. :(

Is this heat sensor something a person with a bit more than average electronics skills can replace by simply opening the cover and changing a pluggable bit, or do this require soldering?

I would hate to send the unit away, since I use it quite a lot, and it is a part of a reference system used for testing activities (I write part time for a home cinema mag), but the reference status drops when that fan turns on...

27. calgaryjohn

calgaryjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This message is for Roffe based on my experiance I would get your nearest dealer to set up an exchange based on your warranty and get a new unit. Since I exchanged mine the fan has never come on even once. Taking the cover off may be simple but its' not worth it if you can get a new unit. Good luck!
    John

28. Marcd51

Marcd51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I brought my Denon last year and I have always been a fan of theirs. I have an Arcam CDT93 Cd Player which I love to bit’s. If it was not for the Denon Arcam would have been my number one choice.

I am a person who does like quite when listening to quite pieces of music and does form time to time crank it up with some Deep Purple Rory Gallagher and so on.

I do not like the idea with fans at all and heat sinks are far far better and will never ware out at all.

I used to work in the IT industry a few years back and fans can become a pain in the arse with fan's failing to come on the CPU or even failing for the Power Supply unit and would cause allot of damage and cost allot of money to put Wright .

As an unbiased point to make - Denon have done the write thing and developed very good heat sinks around the unit. Arcam should do the same thing.

Let's say that the fans do work from day one and never come on, its three years and the unit is out of warranty you are listing to some music or a film and the unit star's over heating badly.... The sensor has become dirty or may have even failed to trigger the fan on???? What then.... you will never no???

Over a period of time it will cause damage and even burn out the output stage of the amp possibly …

So as a point being in the IT industry and electronics at Collage design a cool cooling system with good quality heat sinks that all. Arcam are the only company that uses this design all the other makes develop good heat sinks it can be done. :lesson:

The Arcam is a dam good product and so is the Denon. :thumbsup:

29. hossacd

hossacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The fans are not used for normal cooling of the AVR300 heatsinks are used. The fans are used as a safety feature that kick in when the heat sink reaches 85c to prevent damage to any components. 85c would burn your skin if held on it for any length of time.

The only way the unit is likely to overheat is in a badly ventalated area, if you had an amp without this safty feature it would also overheat however it wouldn't have any means to cool itself backdown and likely have a thermo cutout which would power the amp off until the temperature level goes back down to a safe level. Its just different ways of safegaurding the equipment.

I would also suspect the Arcam would have an upper level also where it would shutdown if the fans could not cool it down but there method means it would play music/movies for longer in adverse conditions without damaging the equipment. If you were to look at any high output amp at say a night club or PA system at a concert you'll find they use both fans and heatsinks to remain cool for this very reason.

A AVR300 can be ran for many hours at high levels and the fans won't come on. The problem with early units is the thermostat used has became faulty which has resulted in the fans coming on when the unit is not overheating.

30. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Mines going in this weekend. It's slowly gotten worse over time. Used to be fine, then started turning on the fans when the fire was on, now turns on after about 2 hours use.

Amp has to go back to dealer (80 miles away :().

Any idea how long it takes to fix this (and any damage that may have been caused by this), as i'm ampless till it's return.