1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 - Controlling Zone2

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by davehinds, Mar 2, 2005.

1. davehinds

davehinds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,
    I've recently purchased and installed an AVR300. Got a question about controlling Zone2 from the front panel. I've learned how to turn on zone2, which was easy enough. How can I turn OFF zone 2 from the front panel? How can I control zone2 from the remote? Can I switch between Zone2 and Main Zone modes from the remote?

Please note, I am only using the front panel IR, not the Xantech extensions.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Gavlaw1

Gavlaw1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave

I spent ages trying to sort this. Firstly, the Z2 codes in the manual are wrong (see email below from Arcam). None of the software versions handle the problem properly - the earlier ones work a little better than the latest code, as this allows you to remotely switch to zone 2 but then takes all control away from you. Ealier software revisons allow you to switch on zone 2, but not back again...

Basically, the useless answer from Arcam is that you can use a half-hearted attempt to give a front panel software solution, or buy a third parties solution from the rear panel - totally useless. I imagine that, like me, you are using IR extenders that fire IR at all your HIFI units?

I can't imagine why they can't sort the software out for front and rear panels, but maybe there are financial links with Xantech.

Anyway the email with the codes is as below:

"Hi,

I have checked into this now. You need to use RC5 code 47 to turn Z2 on from Z1 and 48 to turn Z2 off from Z1. This was implemented in code version 2.95 so you will need a release of the code that is later than that for this to work. (That means it is very likely that you are going to need to get the software updated in your unit). Before that I think these codes turned on the access to Z2 from the front panel like pressing the Z2 button, the feedback we had from customers was that this wasn't very helpful so we changed it.

To get a software update contact your dealer they should be able to update the code for you.

If you wish to do it your self contact your dealer first and if they are happy for you to do it yourself they should be able to send the code to you you will also need a null modem cable (if you don't know what this is its probably best that the dealer does it). You can also contact our customer services with the name of your dealer and the agreement from your dealer and they will send the code. If you do the update yourself it is at your own risk.

I hope this helps. We are preparing a new version of the manual with updated RC5 code listings but currently this has not been completed.

Regards.
    Andrew
    "

3. RacerChris

RacerChris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is not good news for me who is contemplating switching to this unit. I need full IR control over Zone 2, anything less would be a problem for me. :nono:

Arcam - Are you listening? Please fix this in the next software upgrade. Till then, I'm afraid there may not be an AVR300 in my future... :lease:

4. Robin Francis

Robin Francis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0