1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 Connectivity Question

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by TimHiFi, Feb 23, 2005.

1. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The AVR300 Manual says to connect up both Digital and Analogue inputs for say a CD Player. It says that the Amp will 'decide' the best input to use at a given time.

I was just wondering if the Amp considers Analogue CD better than Digital CD ?

What are its priorities ?

2. GarethL

GarethL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It makes sense to connect both analogue and digital from your CD player if you wanted to play CD music in Zone 2 and do something alse in Zone 1.

If using zone2 is not an issue, try both and decide which DAC sounds best and stick with it.

3. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I don't think it actually chooses - it will use the digital input for zone 1 and the analogue for zone 2/tape output.

From page E5:

"Wherever possible, connect both analogue and digital outputs of digital sources. This enables use of a digital input for the main zone with the corresponding analogue input used for recording onto an analogue tape deck or VCR, or for the Zone 2 output."

Post Collision! :eek: .... as Gareth says.

4. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't use Analogue inputs for a CD Player, and you press Direct mode on the AVR300, then you wont get any sound.

Also Analogue inputs sound better for CD music than digital.

Digital of DVD, and Analogue for CD music.

Thats how my AVR 300 is set up.

Good luck

5. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    That's a sweeping generalisation that may, or may not, be true. It depends on the relative quality of the design and implementation of the circuitry, especially the DACs. If the CD player is an old design, it is quite possible that the DACs in the AVR will be better.

The only way to decide which is best for you is to connect up both and compare them. That said - I do it the same way as Duster.

6. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a DVD Player used both for DVD and CD, you can plug the Digital output of the player to digital DVD input on the AVR300 and the analogue to the analogue CD, repeat CD inputs.

In this fashion when you select CD as input you have the option of listening to the players DAC (in analogue) by pushing the Direct Button, or the AVR DAC, by pressing mode button and select Stereo. You can even select a non Stereo only mode, like DTSNeo6 Music.

Unless your player is an high-end device, you will find out that the DAC's in the AVR300 are superior to the one(s) inside the player. There is no such beast as an analogue CD Player...

Cables play a big role. I use Audioquest (Ruby for the Analogue and Digital Silver for the digital connection) . With my Pioneer DV-717, the DAC's in the ARCAM sound superior than the ones inside the player. The player is now 5 years old, but I believe that the Wolfson DACs in the AVR beat most of the Burr Brown. Never heard the top of the BBrown range. though...