1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 - Center Channel set to small?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by addiwei, Sep 7, 2005.

1. addiwei

addiwei
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (so I decided not to upgrade my software. I have 2.90 w/ DSP 1.12 for now)

Anyhow, My subwoofer does not come on during movies/music unless I have the Center Channel set to small. Is this normal? I have Front L/R set to Large, and as soon as I change Center Channel to small, my sub kicks in, and vise versa.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    On the AVR300 setting the centre to small also set the fronts to small too, I am in the process of discussing with Arcam if this can be changed on a future firmware version.

So when you set your fronts and centre to large the sub will only be fed a signal if there is dedicated LFE info on the soundtrack and also if your rears are set to small it will get sent the bass signal below the crossover point for those speakers.

The likelyhood is that even your front 3 speaker are not ideally suited to be run as large speakers so when you run them as small and the sub takes over it does a much better job than your front 3 at reproducing the basss from those channels.

What speakers do you have? What size is your room? This information would be useful and would give me a better idea about how best to configure your system.

3. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Im sure the 300 had a 'custom' setting that would enable you to set them to whatever you like. The avp700 does. :thumbsup:

4. addiwei

addiwei
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ELAC FS 207.2 for my front L/R. Matching 200 series center, and bookshelves. The center speaker is pretty hefty therefore I wanted to set it to large, while the sub is on of course. My sub is this very crappy Onkyo HTIB sub that I've had for like 5 years. (FYI: source is Integra DPS 8.3, w/audio magic xstream speaker cables, and excalibur ii interconnects and Tributaries silver digital coaxial ) The room is not big at all...It is probably around 12x14 feet or less. Below are pictures of my set up.

http://www.thewolfweb.com/photo_photo.aspx?user=4510&photo=426392

http://www.thewolfweb.com/photo_photo.aspx?user=4510&photo=426393

and Yes, that center speaker is close to toppling over but I'm using velcro, and 5 lb tape so I can only hope it doesn't. :suicide:

Anyhow back to the topic, Crustyloafer, it seems on my receiver I can have the Front L/R set to Large, while the center is set to small, believe it or not..., maybe my receiver is defective... ? (but I doubt it because it sounds beyond good) and my surrounds are set to small.
    so the issue right now is whenever I turn the center speaker to Large, Subwoofer appears to be off....and right now I just discovered a new revelation! my sub is actually on, it's just such a crappy sub I guess the LFE doesn't get translated into anything audible, or noticeable but I can feel it moving very slightly trying to push the low frequencies out probably.

I think i need a new sub....svs pb10 time..

5. addiwei

addiwei
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's really hard to tell if that crappy sub is on at all when all the front speakers are set to large.... i can't hear it, and the bass is definitely reduced without the sub with all sources.

6. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    How are your sources for movies and music hooked up to the receiver?

7. addiwei

addiwei
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1 Digital Coaxial from DVD to receiver for movies
    6 RCA interconnects from DVD to receiver for music/dvd-a/sacd

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    The main points I was making was that at the moment you cannot set the centre to large but set thr fronts to small. This is something that I would really like to do as you can see from my setup below.

I think what you've discovered is that the subwoofer channel is still working but only for the LFE channel which usually involved really low frequencies and if your sub isn't that great it is probably struggling to reproduce them. Whereas when you set the centre to small the sub is also reproducing the lower and mid bass that would normally go the the centre and hence the subwoofer is having to do a lot more work and is more noticeable in its operation. A new sub is needed almost certainly.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17958

9. addiwei

addiwei
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    now that's what a system should look like! :thumbsup:
    any subwoofer recommendations? I'm not a real "bass-head" and I don't have a large room to fill. Any experience with the SVS PB10-ISD..I've heard many good reviews from avsforums and it goes down 20 hz supposedly.

So after I get my sub, since I do have "large" speakers, I can set all my fronts to large, including the center, and then let the subwoofer handle the LFE. ? I guess I'll have to play around with it when I get it. I definitely prefer the sound out of the Large setting (from my fronts)... and then I could set the crossover frequency of the sub to 40-50 hz or would that not even matter anymore since I have all front speakers set to large, the subwoofer would automatically get the leftover frequencies.. What is the frequency range of the LFE to the sub after all front speakers are set to large?

Thanks for the advice, you've proven the fact I need to get a new sub..Thanks for making me spend more money! :eek:

10. addiwei

addiwei
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    damn, thats a big center channel, crusty..the sound is literally bigger than the video! haha. that definitely needs to be set to large. I don't think my center speaker is that hefty. My center only goes down to 52 hz according to spec.

11. kid rock

kid rock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

12. addiwei

addiwei
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just thought of something...why not just set all speakers to small....change sub crossover to 40 hz, and then get the SVS PB10....that should complete my set up.

13. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    I just felt that the XQ2C being a fairly substantial centre channel was quite capable of being run as a large speaker and as such should be run as as a large speaker. Don't get me wrong I am very happy with the sound with it as it is but feel that it sounds slighly fuller as a large speaker but my poor wee AE1s cannot handle it at my normal 85dB movie volume level.

14. kid rock

kid rock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I wonder what 3 xq2cs would sound like at the front -as a retailer you should be able to try this out!!!! I thought the ae1s were pretty much capable of handling anything

15. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    The AE1s are lovely speakers but have a fairly limited ability to handle bass at high volumes being so small.