1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 cabling question

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Jim_R, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased an AVR300 a couple of weeks ago, and have been using it in stereo mode (with a subwoofer) since that time. I am now ready to go out and purchase my center and rear speakers. Because I have virtually no previous experience with home theatre, I am in the dark with respect to the cables that I need. I know that I will need audio cables for the center and rear channels. But I am unclear about the digital cable(s). Should I go coaxial or optical? Do I need one or more digital cables? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I am using Quad ESL57's for my main speakers, a Velodyne F-1500-B for my subwoofer, and will be purchasing Magnepans for the center and rear speakers. I am using a Sony DVP-NS900V for DVD, CD and SACD playback.

2. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a chat with my dealer the other day on just this subject. I wondered about linking the DVD compont leads to the AVR300 and from that to the monitor and he is of the opinion that it is best to link direct from DVD to monitor.

For the sound he said 75ohm coaxial between the DVD and the receiver is the best way.

3. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    hi ya, i had the same sony dvd before my current one. I've seen many magazines recommend coax digital over optical, and i changed from one to the other, but truely can't say which is better as only recently got kit good enough to tell the difference.

You will need one digital cable per source, so in my case a coax from the dvd and an optical from the ps2.

4. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the responses! What the good brands,and the brands to stay away from?

5. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    i use an atlas coax digital, looks cool, sounds great and build quality is excellent. think the optical is a prowire, build quality doesn't feel great but it does the job.

Re-reading my comment above omitted to add a couple of things. You only need a digital cable for sources that have them as outputs and to get 5.1 or greater sound (not strictly true, but not worth the hassle going other routes IMO).