1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 - Cable Confusion

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by gilesm, Dec 23, 2004.

1. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

Still trying to get my head around the video side of the AVR300. I've now put it in a cupboard so I can no longer see the display and want to get the OSD working however none of my video goes through it. So what I need to do is coonect:

* DV89 DVD Player - Component (Y Cr Cb)
    * Sky+ (version 1) - SCART (RGB)
    * PlayStation2 - Composite (?)

I'm sure I've read somewhere you cannot mix and match inputs or something like that. Can I connect all of the above together, and whats the best input for video for each - I seem to recall Sky + (version 1 box) only has SCART or S-Video, how do I connect that?

From the AVR300 I need to pass the video signal to my Loewe Spheros. It takes SCART, Component and DVI. What's the best way to get signal from AVR300 to this - via component?

Thanks

Giles

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    1. Use the DVD player on component, plugged into the relevant component input on the AVR300

2. Take S-Video out of the Sky+ box into the 'Sat' S-Video input on the AVR300

3. Get an S-Video cable for the PS2 and connect that to any of the other S-Video inputs on the AVR300.

The AVR300 will upconvert the S-Video signals from the Sky+ box and the PS2 to component video and output it on the 'Monitor Out' connection. You can then pass this signal through to the component inputs on the Loewe television.

Finally, as a quick word of advice, read the manuals for every bit of kit you have thoroughly, there is no substitute other than experience.

3. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Crustyloafer

I've done that now, went out and bought another component cable for amp to dvd, and s-video from Sky+ to amp, and it's all working as it says in the instruction manual :blush:.

However the picture from Sky+ via AVR300 is now much worse than it was SCART RGB direct to TV. Is this just because of the differences in cable ie SVideo compared to SCART RGB? Is there anyway of going from SCART on SKY+ to component in on the AVR300 to preserve the picture quality? or do SCART / Component work in different ways.

Cheers

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does the Sky+ have a component output. If so, use that with the AVR300 instead of S-Video.

5. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dean - No it doesn't thats its problem, it just has SCART and SVideo

6. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Unfortunately S-Video converted to Component is never going to be as good as a "real" component or RGB signal.

You could make this system work by using RGB for both the DV89 and the SKY box. (this is how I have the system wired in my house) the PS2 can be connected S-Video or Composite the AVR300 will convert it to RGB.

The only problem with this set up is you will need 2x SCART to 4 wire RGB cables and 1 x 4 wire RGB + SCART control triggers cable (This is a cable specific to ARCAM, QED make it and you can order it from them, the cable pin out is in the manual if you want one made up by another company). The fourth wire is the composite signal from the source, this is used by the TV just for its sync information, but it must be connected otherwise you will just get a rolling picture. The control triggers are needed to tell the TV that there is an RGB signal on the SCART input otherwise it will just use the composite signal.

This will keep the high quality RGB signal from the SKY and DVD player and have the convinience of only a single cable to the TV from the AVR300.

Regards,
    Andrew

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Another alternative is to get an RGB to component converter to plug into the back of the Sky box and get a component cable for the PS2. Keene Electronics sell some pretty good converters. Try this one for starters:

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?APT1

8. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Andy, thanks for that, I've heard of the special cable before, but never really pursued it as my hifi shop were unaware of it. I'm a little confused though with your post as to the number of cables and where they should go (sorry for being a thicky). I'm happy with the picture from my component cable from DV89 to AVR300 - can this not stay the same, and just get this 'special' cable from QED for the SKY+ box? And is this cable just like the QED AV19 but without the additional stereo leads?

Crustyloafer, that looks interesting, have you had a play with anything like this, are they any good, the only draw back for me is that it's powered and I'm fast running out of power at the back of my rack.

Cheers

9. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Unfortunately the AVR300 can only cope with either component inputs or RGB inputs not both at the same time. So for this set up to work you need to swap the DVD player over to working in RGB hence the need for the extra cable.

Regards,
    Andrew

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I haven't used one myself but have recommended them to several customers who seem very happy with the results.

11. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys. This is all getting rather expensive now, have already bought 2 * £85 QED component cables. To go for the converter option will be another £80 for converter and £85 for the component cable. Andy - as you have this setup, any idea how much these special QED cables are there's no mention of them anywhere that I can find. Also is the picture quality as good as component for the DVD? Now I've got a large LCD any slight floors really do show up - I suspect I know what the answer here is going to be - no? Which in that case, the converter will be the way to go.

Anyway thanks guys

12. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Unfortunately that question is difficult to answer. RGB is the native format for the pannel or glass in most displays. However that doesn't always mean that RGB input always gives the best picture because some displays do all the pre processing in YUV (Component). However generally the picture quality of component and RGB is both very good much better than Composite or S (unless you have one of the few TV's that actually do the internal processing in S then convert it to RGB).

Since you already have the component cables and the converter is only £80, I think that this will work out as your best bet. Converting from RGB to YUV is a very linear process as it is basically just a matter of adding and subtracting the various signals from each other and putting the sync onto the Y signal. So chances are even the quite cheap converter can do a good job of it. I think the special cable is about £150 as it has to be made up. It is not listed on their site anywhere and you would need to contact QED directly to get one made.

Regards,
    Andrew

13. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'm just about to set up my AVR300 and wanted some advice as how best to set up the video side of things. Current kit Sky+, DV79 and Pioneer 504HDE (obviously with media box).

The media box and Sky+ will be in a cupboard about 5ft away from the AVR300 and DV79.

I was going to run an HDMI cable from the DV79 to the media box. Connect the DV79 to the AVR300 via Optical and also via stereo interconnects (so that I can use Zone 2) in future.

Do I then need to have a component cable running from the DV79 to the AVR300 as well if I want to use Zone 2?

Do I also need to run a cable from the Sky+ box to the AVR300 and then one back from the AVR300 to the media box of the 504HDE? Any advice as to what type of cables would be appreciated. I'm keen to keep the number of cables to a minimum for cost reasons as well as not having long runs of cables to hide somewhere!

14. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Any ideas? Am going to set it up tonight? :lease:

15. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Question for Andy D.... :confused:

Having followed this thread, i'm considering getting the custom QED squart for RGB connection. However, I want to make sure I fully understand. My only reason for doing this is to get OSD from AVR300 (not interested in source switching etc). At the moment I run a 2nd cable from monitor out to AV2 on TV and switch inputs to view. But, as I can't see the front of my AVR300 from normal sitting position, i'd like to make more use of the OSD without switching.

So...

I need a custom QED cable between AVR300 and TV. Has RGB connection plus composite for sync, and a trigger which I connect to 1/RGB. This trigger will provide aspect switching info.

Then from my video source to AVR300 I need a scart-4 wire RGB so that the composite signal is passed through for sync purposes. These are standard parts. No additional trigger wires?

The pin-8 info from source is preserved somewhere in all this or does the AVR300 add the aspect switching info?

Before I spend any money, I want to be sure that my TV continues to switch aspect modes automatically when passing my Sky+ output through AVR300.

Many thanks

16. GarethL

GarethL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went down the Keene electronics SCART to component convertor route to connect my Freeview box to my AV300 - this stopped the aspect ration being corrctly set by the TV.

Connecting the Freeview box to the TV directly using SCART, 4:3 is displayed as 4:3 and widescreen as widescreen, using the Keene box and AVR300 it displays everything as widescreen - the picture quality is still perfect.

I haven't tried the QED cable solution - I would be interested to hear if it preserves the 4:3 / widescreen.

17. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having thought some more about this, I now doubt whether the QED scart option would preserve widescreen switching between my Sky box and TV. So I am now contemplating making my own cables - or rather modifying commercial cables.

As 95% of my viewing is Sky, not DVD i will settle for AVR300 on-screen menus for sky viewing only at the moment. To minimise cable runs, I currently pass my Sky scart through my DVD player (which has an RGB loop-through), then out to TV via 5m QED SQART. So my fix here will add the AVR300 to the existing sky->DVD route, i.e. Sky->AVR300->DVD before continuing out to TV via QED cable as before.

Scart to 4 RCA (RGB+sync) are readily available. 2 of these would get my Sky video signal into the AVR300 then out again with OSD, but with no auto-switching/trigger etc. (i.e. Sky->AVR300->DVD->TV).

Here's the mod: open both Scart connectors, i.e. the non avr300 ends of the new cables. Then add a shielded wire (external to scart cable jacket) which joins pin 8 of the two scarts together (with the shield connected to the appropriate ground pins - pin 18, I think see avr300 manual). So this in effect carries the autoswitching trigger from source to monitor (in my case via DVD scart input), bypassing the AVR300 all together. The video signal runs parallel, but passes through the AVR300 to pickup the OSD. For neatness, I will strap the extra wires to the outside of the scart cables and terminate them one with a male RCA and the other with female. Then I can just connect the two together at the AVR300.

I'll let you know if it works. Can't see why not.
    Any thoughts? I'll try it on el-cheapo cables first.

If there is an easier way, please someone let me know before I get started!!

18. EDEN

EDEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear GilesM

Wish I could have your problems with your connections to Spheros.

Read reviews, looked at your thread and thought. Yep Spheros, expensive but push the boat out. Order JLewis but hold on whats this from Empire Direct. Series cash savings, Xmas series outlay on Kids. Lets go for it.

BIG MISTAKE

1) Check delivery by Xmas in Nov. Yep, confirmed place order

2) December Check delivery date. Agh.....sorry special purchasing error. Get you it just after Xmas

3) Xmas week set arrives. But no instructions, no stand.Sorry

4) Stand arrives, no adaptor for Spheros. Order from Germany .Sorry

5) Stand arrives but no tuner box still no luck. Give up.

6) TV etc. returned and then cash eventually paid back (yes after some pushing from me, £50 voucher)

My thanks to Audio Excellence who put me in touch with Loewe UK Rep who helpfully explained (a) yes did need tuner box (b) internet sales permitted on condition they install.

Now asked Audio Excellence to supply: can't stopped recently due to cut price of internet suppliers. Go to John Lewis, no longer stock item awaiting new model?

Arrgh.......

Moral of the story, if the price looks too good then there is likely to be a catch.

Hope this TV is worth the wait off to look for someone who can supply. Or perhaps save cash and hassle and go for new Pioneer Plasma 43"

:confused:

19. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Interesting thread as I am just about to connect up equipment as per gilesm, i.e. sky+, dvd dv89, avr300, panasonic viera plasma. As I have only a good scart cable which could be recycled elsewhere, I could go down the
    DVD - Component - AVR300
    Sky+ - RGB-component convertor - component - AVR300
    AVR 300 - Component - TV
    OR
    scart route with special cable as previously mentioned, which will give the best picture?

Or is there nothing in it?

20. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've not posted for a while on this, as I decided to live with my situation ie no onscreen display for Sky, but it really is very annoying. Anyway did a bit of hunting around and found a cable from Keene (http://www.keene.co.uk/pages/cat/11lea/11F.html) which is a Scart to RGB Component plus Composite Sync, which seems to be exactly what the QED custom cable is? However it's £30 as apposed to £150+. So I'm going to give it a go and see what happens in terms of picture quality, ratio switching etc (although I'm not convinced this works now anyway on my Loewe). Anyway will let you know what i find.

21. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the QED cable has scart to R/G/B/Sync plus a 3.5mm jack for the trigger output from AVR300.

22. GarethL

GarethL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Giles,

Is the part you are ordering from Keene Electronics 'SBB82' ?

I'd be very interested to know how you get on - especially aspect switching, though you did say you are unsure about your Loewe's capabilities.

cheers