AVR300 bi-amping - any success stories?

PhillMarls

Established Member
Reaction score
As owner of a newly accquired AVR300, I'm eager to try bi-amping my ProAc Studio 125 front speakers in stereo.

Does anyone have aural evidence with their setup to say it is worthwhile doing this, as I'm only 5.1 cinema setup currently.

Is it really important to use the same spec cable for high and low frequencies to get the best results? Not sure I want to buy another set of Chord Odyssey and find it makes no or very little difference, would a cheaper Chord cable for high frequencies be OK?

Does the direct mode work OK even though you are using all 7.1 channels?

Any advice welcomed please!!!:)

Phill

I also have an AVR300 with a pair of proac studio 125's. I have only ever used them bi-amped. Definitely worth doing in my opinion, especially in direct mode when listening to music.

I only acquired my proacs a few months back and have been very impressed with them.

I previously owned a pair of mordaunt short 908s which i used in a 6.1 system very briefly. Switched to biamping and went with the 5.1 setup using the spare channels to biamp, it was a very noticeable difference.

Go for it :thumbsup:

I asked a similar couple of questions (in the "Newbie AVR300 speaker question" thread) and ended up doing a couple of PM's with Dankeech, moderator in this forum:
Dankeech said:
I'd highly recommend the benefits of bi-amping. Round fuller more defined bass steering is one of the advantages for a start, but that also means the bass and the midrange/treble channel are kept from interefering with each other and the result of that is noticeable.

I'd stick with same cable for HF & LF. The amp and source will have been designed that the LF drifts smoothly into the HF smoothly, integrating the seperate frequencies properly. Introducing a different speaker wire for either LF or HF will only serve to disrupt that smooth blending. By all means try it, but I'd be expecting the sound to become less natural due to this. It also could in some cases be a sound your prefer. Best off asking your local dealer if you can borow some K20 to try as a control to base your opinions around and ask for another type of wire to compare with.

I have an AVR350 and biamping the fronts made a significant difference to the osund - more alive with a wider soundstage - go for it ;)

I briefly tried biamping with Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 which I had temporarily, and even with those little ones it gave nice depth and clarity to teh sound.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom