1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 bi-amped with P90

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ttree sound, Feb 28, 2005.

1. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I am finding myself making gradual improvements to my system, the latest of which is a CD192 cd player. I recently had a home demo of a 192 and I noticed small improvements - more texture and depth to bass, improvement to cymbal and guitar transients and an overall smoothness to the listening experience - all of which were subtle but noticable - so I bought one! Does anyone know if the CD192 supports HDCD? There is no light display to indicate that it does when I put in a HDCD>

The next upgrade question is whether a P90 bi-amped to the AVR300 is going to make a noticable difference and if so - by how much? But I have to take in to account that my speakers are already bi-amped by the AVR300. Using the P90 would leave the 6th and 7th channel redundant. Another thread on this forum found there to be no improvement.

2. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I certainly notices a difference when I added a FMJ P25/3 to my AV300. I used it for the LF and left the 300 to do the HF. This seemed best for me as I listen to much more music than movies. Bass seemed to improve better separation etc. It's certainly worth a listen at home as you seem to have a good dealer. I now use my old Bose for the other four channels two perminantly fixed in for day to day TV etc. and the others added when the movies go on.

3. wakko

wakko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I bi-amped with my 300 / A85 in power amp mode feeding LF & as Barney says, seperation immediately improved. Much more control with movies, CD is CD72T, even my sceptical "All electronics are the same" mate was blown away by the sound. That nailed it for me, not that I base my decisions on his opinion, but it does give you that warm glowy feeling inside when someone comments on how nice it sounds. 6th /7th channel on 300 is feeding an old mission centre for use on ES soundtracks, cant say I notice the difference with having the extra channel, but Gladiator seems to make most use of it.

4. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have the AVR300 biamped with the P90 - there is a definite improvement over biamping with ch6&7 listening to analogue CD input in Direct Stereo mode (and have said so in other threads on this forum)

You can use Ch6&7 for Zone 2 then, of course.

But it probably depends on what speakers you are using too (MA GR20s in my case)