1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 - best mode for music?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by wombatman, May 5, 2005.

1. wombatman

wombatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI

I just wanted to get some feedback from Arcam owners of the AVR300... I have a Arcam CD73 connected to it via analogue interconnects. Would it be worth trying out a digital interconnect for stereo music? How good is the DAC in the CD73 compared to the one in the AVR300?

Also, what in your opinion would be the best digital mode for music from a stereo source for the AVR300?

2. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do try the digital connection as the AVR300 DAC is very good imo.

down side is that your best stereo mode would then be pcm stereo as you can't use direct with a digital connection

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    1. Try it and see which you like best.

2. 'Stereo' would still be the best mode for listening to a stereo MUSIC source. As for other stereo sources such as television, well that's up to you.

4. wombatman

wombatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment i am using a Panasonic DVD HDD Recorder E95 for playing music, movies, the lot. Just got the CD73, and am comparing it even as I type this, and it is VERY HARD to tell the difference between:
    - CD73 via analogue to AVR300 using Direct mode
    - Pana via digital optical to AVR300 using 'Stereo PCM' mode

I think the 2nd option results in a heavier boomier base, especially at higher volumes, but otherwise detail, quality, interpretation of music is hard to tell apart.

Now I am thinking... should i sell the CD73 and just use the Pana as an all round player, even for music?

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Like others have said, the AVR300 has very good DAC's that, when fed a digital sound source, makes that source sound very good. The CD73 probably uses DAC's from the same family, if not the exact same ones. Therefore it isn't suprising that the sound in nearly the same. I listened to a stereo Marantz CD/SACD player worth £700 and I really couldn't justify the cost simply becasue the DAC's in my amp (Harman AVR8500) were so good. I wound up taking the Marantz back and just used my Panny DMR-E50 recorder.

Russell

6. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because my rather old Pioneer DV-717 has not very good DAC's I use DTS Neo:6 Music even for FM Radio also, and with 4 large floorstanders I got addicted to it. The Frontstage is preserved and a little surround ambiance places you in concert hall..

The point of your question is not the important thing. The DAC's are probably the same Wolfson WM8740 multi-bit sigma-delta.
    The point is that in the AVR300 the digital signal first has to go thru the DSP (CS49400) where the Digital Audio Input resides. Then the DSP decodes it. The "Stereo Decode" algorithm is not the best.., Probably because it's nowadays "old stuff". Only after these travails the signal is passed to the DAC's.

So if you are a purist two-channel your best bet is using the analogue inputs and the AVR in stereo direct. The DSP is shut off.

On the other hand if you like a little variety try the DTS Neo:6 Music.