1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 Bass Mgt. question

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by RaceTripper, Dec 21, 2004.

1. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm using my AVR300 with a Dynaudio Sub500 subwoofer. I have all my speakers (Dynaudio Audience) set to small. The Sub500 xover is set to Flat (i.e. bypass) and the AVR300 xover is set to 80 Hz.

When I use the AVR300 Setup Menu Level Settings to adjust the subwoofer level with the test tone, I notice the test tone volume is loader when the Sub xover is set to bypass than it is when I set the Sub xover to 80 Hz (using a SPL with C weighting and slow response).

Should I set the level with the AVR300 and Sub500 xover settings as they'll be used (i.e. AVR at 80 Hz, Sub at bypass), or should I change my Sub for test tone purposes to the xover level (80 Hz) that will be managed by the AVR300 in actual use? For the latter my rational is that the Sub level should be set with the test tone crossed over at the same freq that the input will be during use. Does that make sense?

Of course I'll end up fine tuning with real source material anyway, but I am wondering what is the more logical approach for initial setup.

Dean

2. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Don't know if this helps ,sevenoaks installed my HC system yesterday and set the crossover on the avr300 at 80 and done the same on my svs as well.
    It sounds AWESOME. :thumbsup:

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That is not a good idea. If the AVR does bass management, the Sub xover should be set to bypass (or off). Otherwise, you're likely to get uneven integration of the sub and speaker frequency response in the crossover range, due to varying characteristics between the 2 crossovers.

In other words, only one crossover should manage the frequency response, and for home theater, that is typically the AVR (or in the case of DVD-A, the player). My Dynaudio Sub manual states this explicitly.

Sevenoaks should know better.

4. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

The sub test tone should be set with the subwoofer set up as you are going to use it. i.e Bypass mode. If you turn on the filter in the subwoofer you are filtering the signal twice hence it will sound quieter as it will be 12dB down at Xover frequency instead of 6dB.

Regards,
    Andrew

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Andrew. That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I did do the setup with the Sub bypass.

6. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ah right thanks for that , he has set it at 80 I take it thats right?

7. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Set the crossover on your Sub to bypass (or flat, or off, whatever it calls it).

Then as a starting point set the AVR300 crossover to 80 Hz. You may want to adjust that up or down depending on your speakers, room, sub, and how it all sounds.

If you have a DVD-A player, you also want to set up its bass management.

The only time you want to enable the sub's own crossover is when you have an input that is not otherwise bass managed.