1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 bass management question for the experts

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by RumNYC, Jun 24, 2005.

1. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If i have fronts set to Large and sub woofer set to none. will the LFE output for DD 5.1 get routed to the Fronts?

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
  3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Although this is not really a good idea. Your front speakers, good though they are, are not even remotely close to be ing able to reproduce accurately some of the low frequency effects from a movie sound track let alone music. I am of the firm belief that a good subwoofer can improve any system whether it is for movies, music or both.

4. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I was going to get a subwoofer (velodyne dd-12) and hook it up using the pre L+R INSTEAD OF the subwoofer out and set subwoofer = none on the settings. Why would I do this? so that i can use the sub for STEREO DIRECT mode, as well as for movies without connecting and reconnecting cables.

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    That sounds like a good way to go about it, should get you good performance for music and movies that way.

6. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I want to make sure that I understand this correctly. Rum NYC is suggesting that you run cables from (front) left and right pre-outputs to the subwoofer, instead of the normal subwoofer configuration. I have my AVR 300 also wired to play SACDs, so the pre-outs are already being used. Does configuring my system to play SACDs preclude the configuration suggested by RumNYC? Do you lose any part of the LFE channel information in doing so? What about the LFE from the surround channels?

7. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you are using the multi-channel analog inputs, you should be fine as I am suggesting using the L + R Pre OUT connections. I believe you are using the INPUTS. They are separate. If you set you surrounds to small then the LFE from the surrounds should also go to the sub via L+R outs.

8. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, RumNYC! I assume that when you run cables from the R and L pre-outs to the subwoofer, the AVR300 still sends the front R and L signals to the amplifier section of the AVR300. Do you still get low frequency information from the center, R and L surrounds channels sent to the subwoofer?

9. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I haven't tried this yet as I have just recently decided to get a subwoofer, but in theory if the center and the surrounds are set to SMALL or NONE and the sub is set to NONE and the fronts are set to LARGE, the bass managements so send LFE from *ALL* channels including the LFE channel to the L+R as they are configured to be the only speakers in the system that can handle low frequencies.

10. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Yes, that is exactly what will happen.

Regards,
    Andrew