AVR300 Arrives!

J

Jesse350

I want to thank the 300 owners who have answered my questions. I hope to hear it soon in Manhattan. I have been told it will be arriving soon. It seems NYC is sometimes behind the rest of the country. Thanks again.

Jesse

HMHB

Distinguished Member
What's the sound like in stereo ? Lots of amps sound harsh (shrill) to my ears and so I would prefer a somewhat warmer sound. Would I get that with this amp ?

RaceTripper

Standard Member
JohnG said:
What's the sound like in stereo ? Lots of amps sound harsh (shrill) to my ears and so I would prefer a somewhat warmer sound. Would I get that with this amp ?
Arcam put a lot of effort into getting the AVR300 right for playing music in stereo, as well as making it first class for multi-channel DSP. You can play analog stereo sources in a direct mode that bypasses DSP circuitry and it sounds great. You will not be disappointed. You will be impressed with how well it images the soundstage.

I have a room that's fairly bright and reflective and have found that I can still leave the EQ settings flat. I originally had some issues with a bit of shrillness, but solved it when I upgraded speaker cables for the fronts.

Nevertheless, you should go hear it for yourself. Your own ears are the best judge, regardless of our opinion.

Dean

J

Jim_R

Well, I'm bringing home an AVR300 this weekend for an in-home test. Luckily, being a holiday weekend, I will have it for an extra day. I can't wait.

booktrunk

Banned
Barend...

How about a little accident... smallish dent in the car... can't go away in it until it's been repaired? :) Just run into a tree SLOWLY and make sure you wear your seatbelt when you do it

Steff

Barend said:
Could be my AVR300 arrives next Friday!
Can't wait!
However, Friday we're going on vacation to France, suppose nobody could think of a viable excuse to stay home?
Problem: Who drives the family there...
Barend

PS
Yeah I know this is a pointless msg, had to get it off my chest to People Who Understand...

B

Benfica

I own an Arcam AVR 100.

Can anyone, based on their own experience, make a direct comparision between de AVR 100, AVR 200 and the new AVR 300 ?

For instance, from a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you rate the three of them on:
- Stereo
- Movies (meaning DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1)

Thanks for you help.

I

Icarus

Benfica said:
I own an Arcam AVR 100.

Can anyone, based on their own experience, make a direct comparision between de AVR 100, AVR 200 and the new AVR 300 ?

For instance, from a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you rate the three of them on:
- Stereo

Thanks for you help.

My dealer sold me an AVR200 about three months ago. Within the last 10 days he heard the 300 for the first time and to quote him "wow it is a lot better than anything else we sell at a similar price". He added that all who heard it were similarly struck and in awe of it.

Yes they will stock it and yes I will hear it for myself quite soon now.:clap:

RaceTripper

Standard Member
Benfica said:
I own an Arcam AVR 100.

- Stereo

Thanks for you help.
I had an AVR200 for about 16 months, and have had the AVR300 now for about 4 weeks. The way I put it is, the AVR300 is way more of an improvement than the additional cost over the AVR200, for both DSP and direct stereo.

I hate putting anything emprical on it, but I'll rate it this way for you.

Movies:
AVR200: 10
Others in same price range: 5
AVR300: 10
Others in same price range: 5

Stereo:
AVR200: 10
Others in same price range: 3
AVR300: 10
Others in same price range: 1

AVR200 vs. AVR300
10, 10+++

So, the 200 is way better than anything else I've heard for the price, as is the AVR300. The difference in cost between the AVR200 and 300 is one of the best bargains I've ever seen.

Dean

B

Benfica

Thanks a lot to Icarus and Dean Wette!

I wish only that someone could to the same comparision between AVR100 and AVR200 and then I would have the complete picture.

I'm starting to be really interested in the AVR300 ... I wish I could hear it for myself here in Portugal ...

Best regards

RaceTripper

Standard Member
Benfica said:
Thanks a lot to Icarus and Dean Wette!

I wish only that someone could to the same comparision between AVR100 and AVR200 and then I would have the complete picture.

I'm starting to be really interested in the AVR300 ... I wish I could hear it for myself here in Portugal ...

Best regards
I have no direct experience with the AVR100. But if I recall correctly, the only major difference between the 100 and 200 was the addition of Prologic II. Presumably, Arcam made other internal improvements to the audio, but the specs stayed the same more or less.

But surely the 200 is not worse than the 100, and the 300 is a significant improvement over that.

Dean

V

vjcinemas

Hi, Has anyone compared the avr300 with the new Denon 3805 with regard to both stereo and 5.1 performance. Also does biamping the front 2 speakers improve the stereo performance significantly or would it be better used to drive another pair of speakers in another room?

Vijay

chris

When i was haveing a demo for new speakers, one of the dealers had a dv79/avr300 setup to demo the speakers on.
the system i had heard before was a dv88+/a90 setup.
There was a deff lack of fine detail with music on the 79/300 setup.
Dont know if it was the player or the Amp, but something was a miss.
I dont think it was the speakers or the cable, as i brought them and i have a DV89/A90/Denon 3803 setup and it does not matter what one i play music through (A90 or Denon 3803), the detail that was lacking is there.
I did not ask them to change anything as i was there to listern to the speakers and not the 79/300 setup.
Not sure if it was the room interfering with the sound, or maybe it was the way he had it setup, but if i'd of been going there to demo either the 79 or 300, then there would of been no sale.
It was most noticable on Evanescence Fallen album.....track 4, my immortal......on the second verse when the morse code fades in, in the background, it was not there at all, untill right at the end of the track with the 79/300 setup.

Just my take on the 300 im afraid.

P

phaigh

For what it's worth, I did a demo of the AVR300, Dynaudio 42W (Rears), Dynaudio 122C (Centre) and A Rel Stratus 3 system.

The Fronts were Contour 2.4T's I think.

The AVR300 kicked out some serious detail to those speakers and it sounded positively amazing. If I hadn't been back late from work, I'd have already bought the system.

I was surprised to find that the 122C was quite a bit better than the 42C, lots more range and depth, particularly in 'swirly' type music.

The 42W's were ok, but not amazing.

However, the AVR300 really impressed me - you could hear the difference on stereo (compared to my A22/CD23 setup) but in DTS mode it was positively amazing - the breadth and range to the sound was really quite awesome.

Now I've just got to get WAF and I'm set!

Cheers,

PAul.

Burton

Standard Member
I am also interested in a comparison between the Denon avr3805 and the Arcam avr300 and will demo in person at some point soon I hope.

I have previously heard all the combinations of the Denon avr3803, dvd2900, Arcam Avr200, dvd88+ with a bias on stereo listening.
If I were to have purchased at the time I would have got the dvd88+ with the 3803. To my ears I found that there were really no discernable differences between the 3803 and 200 in stereo and the 3803 was better featured, priced and far better at movies/ surround sound. The dvd88+ just edged it on music but that was less of a clear cut decision because the 2900 was so close and did SACD as well.

I have high hopes that the Arcam avr300 will be a massive improvement and certainly merits a back to back test with the Denon avr3805 and perhaps the Harmen Kardon 7300 (US model no.)