1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 any advice on opening sound?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by MattTheBeanster, Jul 12, 2004.

1. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hiya,

Still trying to get my avr300 to sound exactly like i want it to. I'm trying to
    get it to sound a bit more open/airy because it can sometimes sound a bit
    compressed.

Anyone else had the same?, Any suggestions? replacement power cable
    was an idea i have been playing with.

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    AVR300 sounding compressed?
    Takes me back to the old Alpha days...

Try biamping, my Denon 3805 and KEF Reference 203's sounded much better.
    As for cable fetishes:
    All a bunch of nonsense- parroting and placebo psychology- and a different mains cable is even more useless; just for the final 1.5m power line? Don't make me laugh.
    Spend your money where it counts most: SPEAKERS!
    And (to a lesser degree) amps and players.
    Just my two eurocents.
    Barend

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Personally, I think it's crazy when people sink tons of money into speakers, and then skimp on the signal source. All that gets you is speakers that are more revealing of the crap you put into them.

I go for the opposite approach: start with a good source and work your way towards the output. It's possible for some relatively cheap speakers to sound really good if they are fed a good quality signal. OTOH: it's not hard at all to make terrific, high-end speakers sound like garbage because the signal going to them is generated by cheap equipment.

As to the original question, I have not changed my AVR300 power cable, but have upgraded my DVD digital coax, speaker, and sub cables. I'm satisfied that it improved the sound: less harse and more detailed in the high end, punchier bass, and better clarity in the mid range.

4. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree 100% with dwette. I once knew a guy who spent $10,000 USD on speakers to go with his 20 year-old Sony receiver. Absolutely insane!

Garbage in equals garbage out. Your system could sound worse with very high end speakers that are accurately reproducing a poor front end source.
    My order of importance would be the power coming out from your walls, the source component, the preamp, amp, cabling and finally speakers. They are all ultimately important and interactive, but a poor source component will ruin it for all your other fine gear.

As for power cords, it's not the miles of powerline leading up to your home that matters. It's what they do to keep EMI and RF contained which originates in your home and from your own gear. The better power cords act less like antennas. There is also the theory of in-rush current. High current gear (and even low powered devices such as CD players) do better with instaneous current draw, which upgraded power cords seem to be good at delivering. Well, that's the theory anyway. All I know is that they seem to make the biggest and most audible difference of all the cables in my system. But, be warned, they are highly system dependent, and can have unwanted interactions when mixed with other upgraded power cords.

A great and very cheap tweak to open up your sound is ERS sheets. Lay them on the top of your gear (starting with the CD player first). They are EMI and RF blockers and absorbers. Absolutely amazing for $20 USD per sheet! I can't live without these things! You can find them at www.cryotweaks.com
    I know others on this forum have used them with excellent results.

Regards,
    Pete

5. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    And that's true also, source sound hardly improves thru the chain...
    On the contrary I'd say, it's a bit frustrating sometimes to hear faults in recordings and orchestral nosepickings etc. now my new speakers are more revealing.
    And also true- use good cables- well screened that means (double screened).
    But (ask any studio tech) you don't have to go out on a limb to buy very expensive ones!
    No need to sell your car of offer your wife on Ebay. :devil:
    Ah, what a hobby we have!
    Cheers
    Barend

6. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    More open and airy is exactly what I got from biamping which is easy when you have an AVR300.
    You have to say byebye to the back centers though!
    Barend

7. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Getting rid of the back centers is not an option (was one of the reasons i got the amp) so to bi-amp would need a power amplifier, a bit expensive. Think its just the centre that needs a bit more openness.

Changing speakers also not an option, love them. Guess could try testing the biamp option in 5.1 to see if it helps.

thanks for the replies.

8. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    ok, played around. went for lest costly options first. moved the centre speaker a bit further away from the wall and changed the power lead for one that had ferite cores that i had kicking around. Movie sound definately more to my liking now, but your suggestions have got me wondering if i can get better so maybe the ers sheets and a demo of the arcam p90/3 to bi amp the front 3 speakers are in order.

dweete what digital coax did you change to?

9. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm using the Premium Digital Link from Transparent Cable (on the DVD player). I also upgraded to their MusicWave speaker cable for the front and center speakers, MusicLink PLus for the Sub cable, and the Premium Component video cable (for DVD). Next I'll get their PowerLink Plus cable for the AVR300 (which I already have on the DVD).

Transparent Cable

Dean

10. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    many thanx, sorry about the naff sperling :)