1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 - Another Cabling Question

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by gilesm, Jun 21, 2004.

1. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

I'm about to pick up my new AVR300 :clap: . Currently I've got SCARTs (QEDs AV41) from DVD and SKY+ going directly into the back of my Loewe Acconda, but because of the size of the cables I can't get the back on it. So I was planning to stick all the cabling through the AVR300, then one cable from AVR300 into TV.

My question really is will picture quality from DVD and Sky suffer at all doing it this way rather than going direct, or is it really just a pass through with no loss. I guess I'll try it when I get it home just wondered if anyone had done this?

Cheers

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I think that passing the signal through any additional box is going to degrade the signal slightly. Through a well designed piece of kit like the AVR300 any degradation should be minimal and barely noticeable.

3. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    You should not see any noticeable degridation of the signal passing it throught he AVR300. The video multiplexer (switch) in the AVR300 is rated for 165Mhz signals maximum. A standard rate video signal RGB or YUV is only 5.75MHz maximum so the AVR300 is over specified for standard video by more than an order of magnitude (greater than x 10). You might even see a slight improvement as the cable drivers in the AVR300 are much better than the average set top box and if you have very short cables to the AVR300 and long cables to your TV the AVR300 may be better at driving them. The AVR300 uses Linear Technology video parts which are very very low noise so this also should not be an issue.

If you want to wire the AVR300 up this way you need the special QED AVR300/AV8 to SCART video cable to connect the scart control signals up as well as the RGB and sync signals. Your delaer can order this from QED for you.

Regards,
    Andrew

4. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info Andy, just what I wanted to hear. I can't see the AVR300/AV8 on the QED pages but I'll get my retailer to order me one.

Cheers

5. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    It is a special they make just for us, hence its not listed in their standard cables.

Regards,
    Andrew