AVR300 and REL Quake Sub - advice sought

J

jposner

hi,
Just bought a Quake Sub to complement my AV300 (and set-up below). My First Sub :D

At the moment I have just the LFE line-level connections set up, and I'm testing out various options with DVD playback.

I understand I can use the Quake with the High & Low Level inputs simultaneously, which would help for when I want to run the Quake to underpin my main speakers for CD playback in the DIRECT mode, so I'm looking to connect the High level cable to the main speaker posts on AV300.

I have set my Quake up at max xover (105hz?), Depth mode, with the AV300 xover set to 50 Hz (I have Kef Q5's that kick in about 40 Hz or so, and am hoping the Quake will supplement my "small" surrounds (Kef eggs). I assume that since the same xover level on the Quake is used for both high and low level inputs I need to set the Quake xover to match my main speakers for use with DIRECT CD source? therefore it might affect the LFE xover when viewing DVD's, as I've read you don't really want to set the sub and amps xover to similar frequencies .... ??? :confused: ???

Also my main speakers are Bi-amped by channels 6/7 - do I have anything special to think about when connecting the sub to these speaker outputs (indeed which ones?)

Any advice/experience from someone with AV300 and Quake would be gratefully received. :lease:

Crustyloafer

1. Put the 'Mode' switch on the Quake to mode 2 or 4. This will bypass the crossover on the subwoofer for the low level input. This is necessary as the crossover for this connection is already being dealt with by the AVR300. I would set the AVR300's crossover to 100Hz to complement the Kef eggs.

2. The subs's own crossover is now only active for the high level input, so set this at a suitable frequency to fill in for what your main speakers cannot reproduce, around 40-45Hz would be suitable.

In this configuration you effectively have two crossovers, one working on the AVR300 for watching movies and the other on the sub when listening to music in direct mode. The two will not interact with each other as they are operating on different inputs on the sub. If you set your fronts to 'large' on the AVR300 the Quake will fill in for your main speakers at the frequency set on the sub's crossover. This setup gives you the best of both worlds and is why the REL range of subwoofers are reknown for being extremely flexible for use in movie and music systems.

J

jposner

thanks for that excellent reply Crustyloafer. a couple more questions if you don't mind...

1. which speaker terminals should i connect the REL to (remember i am bi-amping) - indeed does it matter ?

2. do I have to switch anything on the REL when changing from Movie (loew level input) to Music (high level input)

:thumbsup: cheers!

Crustyloafer

1. You can connecto to either set of speaker terminals as they are both outputting the same information.

2. Providing you have set up the the crossover and the high and low levels correctly then you should not need to alter anything later. Please note that finding the optimal settings will most likely require months of tweaking and most likely end in frustration followed shortly afterwards by elation that you have really found the best settings. This state of a feeling of achievement will last approximately 1 week befoe you play an album that makes you rethink your entire strategy on setting the subwoofer up. You are now back to the start of this stage in setting it up.

PS: Welcome to the world of subs, your life now has meaning.

niceguy235uk

Crustyloafer said:
Please note that finding the optimal settings will most likely require months of tweaking and most likely end in frustration followed shortly afterwards by elation that you have really found the best settings. This state of a feeling of achievement will last approximately 1 week befoe you play an album that makes you rethink your entire strategy on setting the subwoofer up. You are now back to the start of this stage in setting it up..
Too dam true!!!!!

Crustyloafer said:
PS: Welcome to the world of subs, your life now has meaning..
:rotfl:

tomaume

Standard Member
Found this thread when browsing for info regarding how to connect subs, xover settings etc. I am having a REL Quake II delivered in a few days so I have also tried to figure out a plan to get the best setup and so on. I understand full and well everyting being said in this thread except one (probably stupid) thing. That is how to, actually, physically connect the high level connections from the sub to the AVR350 speaker terminal the best way. I am also bi-amping my kef Q7 fronts and I really can't see where to connect the sub in the amp. All speaker terminals on the reciever are occupied. I have connected my speakers with banana plugs. Do I just connect the sub with a spade connection on the same speaker terminal? Or do I need to connect the sub kable to the current bananas?

Hope that made sense to you Arcamites out there.

Cheers,

Crustyloafer

Do I just connect the sub with a spade connection on the same speaker terminal? Or do I need to connect the sub kable to the current bananas?
Just connect the sub's high level cabel to the same speaker terminals as your main speakers with a bare wire connection.

H

Houston Texas

While we are on the sub subject, I have an AVR300 with Dynaudio Audience 62 Fronts (floor standing), and Audience 42 center + rears, plus a Dynaudio Sub 300. My DV139 is connected via 6 ch. analog input for CD/DVD-A/SACD (therefore all in direct mode), and also via digital for movies. For the CD's fed by analog, would you recommend using the sub for augmenting the Audience 62 bass in music playback (Stereo+sub), or stick with the Audience 62's alone? I keep experimenting back and forth at different volume levels, and am so far only really convinced that I need the sub with music at low listening volumes. Views welcome.

PlasmaNewbie

Novice Member
Just connect the sub's high level cabel to the same speaker terminals as your main speakers with a bare wire connection.
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, didn't want to start a new one as 97% of the answers I want are here:clap:

Is there any danger of doing any damage to the amp using the high level inputs? I have a Solo Movie 5.1 and a REL storm III. I've just been using the LFE input in mode 1.

Always been afraid of blowing something, by connecting the
Neutrik Speakon socket
directly to the speaker terminals. I can't ask my dealer as they have closed down, so you guys are my best source of info!
:lease:

Crustyloafer

Is there any danger of doing any damage to the amp using the high level inputs?
No there is no danger at all. All REL subwoofer have been specifically designed to be used with both connections simultaneously.

When connected to the ampifier's speaker terminals via the high level connection the subwoofer presents a load of around 100,000 ohms which is very high indeed. What this means is that it draws only the tiniest amount of current from the ampliifer and basically only receives the signal voltage representing the changes in the audio signal. As far as your amplifier is concerned it probably isn't even aware, so to speak, that the subwoofer is even connected.

PlasmaNewbie

Novice Member
No there is no danger at all. All REL subwoofer have been specifically designed to be used with both connections simultaneously.

When connected to the ampifier's speaker terminals via the high level connection the subwoofer presents a load of around 100,000 ohms which is very high indeed. What this means is that it draws only the tiniest amount of current from the ampliifer and basically only receives the signal voltage representing the changes in the audio signal. As far as your amplifier is concerned it probably isn't even aware, so to speak, that the subwoofer is even connected.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it:thumbsup:

I will have a go tonight, although I expect I'm going to be fiddling with the settings for some time:devil:

E

evergrey

Hey Crusty, Can i do this very same thing with a B&W ASW700 subwoofer, where i can utlize it for both 5.1 movie mode and stereo-direct two channel mode?

drewh1

Standard Member
More on this question - I am using an AVR300, bi-amped using 6/7, feeding my sub-woofer with pre-amp out Front L/R. I only have a L/R input on my sub (paradigm), no separate LFE input.

I use Stereo direct and 5.1 mode. I decode 5.1 on my DVD player (Cambridge Audio). If I set to no sub woofer and front at Large setting, is the low frequency movie information sent to the fronts? I hope so, then I can continue to use stereo direct with my sub-woofer and 5.1 as well.

Thanks.

drewh1

Standard Member
Never mind - I figured it out:

choosing subwoofer - no on my DVD player re-directs the LF to the front speakers so that it will be picked up by my subwoofer. Therefore, it will work in both Stereo Direct and 5.0 movie settings.

This answers the previous query as well.

Trending threads

Top Bottom