1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 and DV79 advice.

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by MJS1972, Oct 26, 2005.

1. MJS1972

MJS1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

just registered on this forum as I've just bought some new equipment and need advice on how to connect. Hope you can help. :)

I have just installed a Pioneer 436 XDE with a sky+ feed and an AVR300 and DV79. I have just bought a QED HDMI cable to connect the DVD player into the media box. Questions.......

1. To connect the audio output from from the DVD player to the amp should I be using digital or analogue connections? What is the generally accepted view on what is best? Or should I connect up both, use analogue for music and digital for movies?

2. With my HDMI cable installed I guess I should switch the DVD to progressive scan. Are there any other sittings I should chnage?

3. If I buy a HD DVD (I know ther aren't many titles about) will I be able to play it back on my pioneer and feel the benefit of true HD or do I need a scaler? If so is there a scaler that works well with this arcam set up, or is arcam planning to provide a scaler as an upgrade option for the DVD79 soon?

4. I've heard that some people use their AV amps to act as a switch for their TV inputs. Is this recommeded? What benetits do I get? Would that mean that if I'm wacthing sky the sound will come out over the surround sound instead of the TV speakers?....hmmmmm, not sure if I want this?

5. I'm aware that AVR300 has seven output channels. As I'm only installing 5 surround speakers will that mean I can use the other two to power a pair of speakers in another room (zone 2) at the same time?

Phew, I think that's all for now! If you can give any other advice on the optimal setup to an AV beginner I'd appreciate it.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

2. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi,

Wow, lots of questions, I'll give them a go:

Go for both. Digital for movies is essential to get the 5.1 surround sound plus other surround modes the AVR300 offers. Analogue for stereo music is an option most prefer, but one you should try out for yourself. Going all digital means your are using the DACS in the AVR300, but having the analogue means using the DACS in the DV79. It's touch and go, lets your ears decide

Not that I remember for my set-up (DV29 & AVR300) with HDMI to projector. You could turn off progressive and see how the Pioneer gets on with interlaced input, but I would guess the DV79 would be better

The DV79 will not play HD DVD's. If and when Arcam go true HD, I would assume a new player would be available rather than upgrade given the technical/physical aspects required for the upgrade. A scaler is an option you could choose to rescale the 576p or 480p output up to HD output instead of the Pioneer doing it, but how much money do you have :)

The main benefits for using the AVR300 for video switching is the ability to convert between composite/S-Video/Component & RGB, and really just the convinience of having potentially one cable to the TV. I use it for component only switching, DVD, NTL cable, XBOX, and it works a treat. Downsides, and video processing you use will degrade your final output. Controlling the sound would be done on an individual basis also and switch as the video switches, check out the link from nicholas_g and your AVR300 manual for help.

Yep, that is an option, but also the ability to use the spare channels to bi-amp your front speakers if they are bi-amp-able (if there is such a word :D )

Hopefully that helps you get going. Ask away if you have more queries.

Cheers

Andy

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    As already said, when the time comes Arcam will no doubt release their own HD player. An upgrade will not be possible. This will playback HD DVD media (as well as DVD CD etc), media which is recorded at 720p or 1080i/p high definition resolutions.

A video processor (scaler) is slightly different. It takes your normal definition DVDs and deinterlaces and rescales them up to high defintion standard. So it is doing the best with the lower resolution material it started with, but won't be as good as something that actually is HD. The improvement is quite impressive though, and since it also repairs colour errors, controls gamma, colour, grayscales, etc etc it's an improvement HD material can gain from too.

Now there is one processor best suited for this, and it's a Lumagen. All Lumagen models have been designed in co-operation with Arcam in order that you can run the DVD in Interlaced mode, connected to the DVI input on the LUmagen. This means an all-digital signal, which is fully processed by the Lumagen, and the results are highly impressive.

You will also be able to run Sky TV etc via the Lumagen to gain significant performance gains.

4. MJS1972

MJS1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys.

So really it comes down to whether or not I want to buy a lumagen to upscale my DVDs and sky or do I wait for the HD Sky and HD DVDs and player. I'm guessing that the lumagen is a pricey bit of kit? If so, i.e. £1K plus I'm thinking I may as well wait. Sky is already talking about HD next year. I just wonder how much of their content will be HD and whether of not they'll include a scaler within the box for when the content is low res.

Also while I'm on I have a problem..... I've just recieved my QED HDMi and connected the DVD directly to the media box and removed the Squart cable that I was using previously. I've changed the DVD player to PS and all is fine with the picture, I have no sound though. I have the arcam set to Bitstream/2 Ch and down sample to 48k, is this correct if I'd like the sound down the HDMI cable?

Thanks!