AVR300 Analogue pre-amplifier outputs

chrisor

Standard Member
I am trying to get an output from the FR & FL Analogue pre-amplifier ports of the AVR300 and am having no success. Is there any special settings that need to be set to make these active?

The reasoning I am using is because these are potential ports to drive external amps they should be active for all inputs (both Analogue and Digital). Is this sound logic?

Thanks
Chris

H

Hifi addict

the left most 6-ch outputs are to be used for this. those are used to hook up poweramps etc and I have used those about 10 times already. Nothing special to be set in the menu. they ALWAYS output a signal

chrisor

Standard Member
Thanks Hifi addict,

With your help I tried again and got it working on analogue (was thinking that it was broken). The output (on the pre-amplifier outputs) is not adjusted by the volume control (nor the zone mute) on the AVR300 which was expected to some degree.

These analogue pre-amplifier outputs do not accept Digital input on the optical fibre cable from the DVD (DV78).

If I connect an analogue input from the (DV78) DVD I do obtain analogue pre-amplifier output.

Does this sound right?

Thanks
Chris

Crustyloafer

chrisor said:
The output (on the pre-amplifier outputs) is not adjusted by the volume control (nor the zone mute) on the AVR300 which was expected to some degree.
Are you definitely connecting your power amps to the correct sockets, the pre-amp outputs are the ones at the upper left of the back panel as you are looking at it, just to the right of the FM and AM aerial sockets.

chrisor

Standard Member
Crustyloafer said:
Are you definitely connecting your power amps to the correct sockets
Almost certain that I did, will re-confirm will another re-test (to the pre-amplifier) as I have disconnected for the moment.

Are you saying this because:

1: You think that I may have got to the 'TAPE OUTPUT' RCA connections (great question)? OR

2: The pre-amplifier outputs should be controlled by the Volume control?

If it is 2: and I have connected to the pre-amplifier and the volume control does not control the volume, then the unit may really be faulty.

Thanks again
Chris

chrisor

Standard Member
I upgraded the firmware to 3.29, no problems, but still no output coming from pre-amplifier outputs, either with Analogue or Digital input. Am really at a dead end with this one. It has gone back to its previous behaviour of no output

Got the feeling now, that the unit is faulty despite the unit working in every other aspect (as far as I can tell).

Anyone got any other ideas.

Cheers
Chris

ANDY_DUTTON

I think what Chris is suggesting is that you may have mistakenly connected to the Multichannel input which has all the same lables as the output except for the one saying it is the multichannel input.

Regards,
Andrew

chrisor

Standard Member
Thanks Andy,

The connection tested (FL & FR) was the upper bank of eight, appreciate the question.

As the unit is only four months old and no other problems am hoping that the issue can be resolved.

Any further questions would be welcomed.

Kindest Regards
Chris

Crustyloafer

Another thought, have you made sure that the optical input you are using from the DV78 to the AVR300 is assigned to the DVD input on the AVR300. I ask this because the default digital input on the AVR300 for DVD is a coaxial input. You willl need to tell the AVR300 if you are using a different connction, which you are.

H

Hifi addict

chrisor said:
2: The pre-amplifier outputs should be controlled by the Volume control?
if you use the AVR300 as a pre, the volume controle IS controling the volume. I have this setup today (for test) and it's working as allways.

The input analogue/digital does not matter. both work fine.

can't think of anything else that could be wrong :suicide: (assuming that you connected it correctly)

chrisor

Standard Member
Thanks Andy, Crustyloafer & Hifi addict,

After having upgraded firmware (3.29), reset unit through the Engineering menu, and confirmed getting DVD-A inputs working, coming to the unpleasant position that there is a fault.

Will leave it for a few days to see if anything else surfaces but then will take it to be checked by a repairer which is something I really preferred not to do (who knows if they will not introduce a problem in attending to this minor problem).

Only doubt I have, is the way I have been testing whether the pre-amp outputs are operational. I have been treating the pre-amp outputs as typical signal outputs and connecting them to inputs of a tape recorder and television (for detection) i.e. not to inputs of a power amp. Is there any problem with this from your perspective?

Kindest Regards
Chris

steeled

Novice Member
If you are feeding the pre-outs to a TV or Tape machine then you would have to turn the volume up on the AVR300 to get a good line level signal into the TV or Tape. Normally the TV/Tape would expect a full signal without volume control. The way you have it configured the AVR300 will reduce the signal through the volume control.

I would turn the speakers off and then turn up the volume and see if you get an output.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Crustyloafer

chrisor said:
Only doubt I have, is the way I have been testing whether the pre-amp outputs are operational. I have been treating the pre-amp outputs as typical signal outputs and connecting them to inputs of a tape recorder and television (for detection) i.e. not to inputs of a power amp. Is there any problem with this from your perspective?
Why didn't you tell us that in the first place, the main thing wrong with this method is that the pre-amp outputs on the AVr300 are not going to be outputting a full line level signal unless the the AVR300 is at or close to maximum volume. This is compounded by the fact that the AVR300 uses a logarithmic volume scale which will not output much of a signal at all below about 60-70dB. The best way to use a tape deck or other line level input to check the pre-amp outputs is to disconnect all of your speakers (this will save you from blowing them up) and turn the volume on the AVR300 to 00dB which is about maximum output. Playing back material at this volume should result in a suitable level of signal coming out of the pre-amp outputs.

In conclusion though you really are going about this the wrong way and I suggest you contact the dealer who sold it to you who will be able to test the unit thoroughly.

chrisor

Standard Member
Have taken steeled & Crustyloafer advice and it works :clap: many many thanks. Disconnected the speakers and pumped the output to 100db for a short time :thumbsup:

I should have mentioned how I was connecting this up and am sorry for not mentioning this initially. :oops:

In regard to the suggestion of taking this to the dealer for testing, this was being contemplated and had only used phone support from the dealer to date.

I am extremely grateful for the posts by Crustyloafer, Andy Dutton, steeled, Hifi addict and sorry for not supplying a vital piece of the puzzle in the first post. :(

Kindest Regards
Chris :)

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett