AVR300 analog inputs

jeffstra

Standard Member
I am planning to buy a new Blu-Ray player that decodes the new HD codecs and can output them through 7.1 analog. This will allow me (the way I understand it) to enjoy the new codecs without having to buy a new receiver by inputting them using the 7.1 analog inputs on the receiver. My question is are the analog inputs controllable through the receiver as far as speaker size and distance or do the signals bypass that control on their way to the amplifiers?

Stradi1

Standard Member
Hi,

as written in manual:

The multi-channel input is intended for use with sources that decode the surround channels internally, such as DVD-A or SACD players.
The AVR300 switches these analogue inputs directly to the analogue outputs via its own volume control circuit. This direct path maintains the best possible sound quality for DVD-A and SACD sources; it has the side-effect that there is no bass-management for DVD-A or SACD players. In this case, the bass-management functionality of the player itself should be used.

"direct path", "no bass-management" - I would guess that will include speaker size and distance, therefore everything has to be setup in the BDP.

Greetings

Harbornebloke

Novice Member
Have a look on line at the user manual for any Blu Ray player that you're considering to make sure that it has the necessary bass management, speaker size and time delay features that you will require. This way you can make sure that you will still get the required set up functions.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:smashin:

jeffstra

Standard Member
Thanks guys. That was the answer I expected after reading other posts. I expect the Arcam BDP will be too pricey for me so I'm looking at the upcoming OPPO BDP-83. The word is it probably will have the necessary controls. I just wanted to see if that would be an issue if it didn't.
Thanks again.:)

jkharmer

I have Sony BDPS-550 and can recommend it, has all teh twaeks you will requier and good sound / picture. Cheap as well really.

jeffstra

Standard Member
I have Sony BDPS-550 and can recommend it, has all teh twaeks you will requier and good sound / picture. Cheap as well really.
I was waiting for that unit but when I discovered it had no SACD I had to move on. I also have DVD-A discs but was willing to give them up but not Sony's own SACD. I was very surprised.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom