• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AVR300: all inputs not created as equals?

Diggin4fire

Standard Member
I am in the proces of reviewing alternatives to my existing cd-player (Marantz cd 42, mk. II). To this end I sometimes borrow a candidate cd-player and try it out against my old machine (simultaneous playing of the same cd, switching input via the remote).
In this proces, I have always used the CD input for my old machine, and the VCR input for candidate players, keeping all other parameters (cables etc.) identical, and the result has always been the same: The sound of any candidate player was shallow and not gutsy enough compared to my Marantz. After the latest such trial, I thought that maybe I had not taken account of all parameters: I connected the candidate player to the CD input and my old machine to the VCR input. Lo and behold: for the first time ever, a candidate player sounded better than my old player.
Conclusion: the CD input is better than the VCR input.
Question: why is this? Is the CD input constructed better from the start, or does it sound better, because it has it been run in a long time ago (my AVR300 is 3,5 years old, and I almost never use the VCR input)?

Diggin4fire

Standard Member
It would be wonderful if Arcam could clear up this matter!
Anyone? :confused:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Merely a guess: the VCR is a tape loop, not an input device. In other words, when you select VCR you are not deselecting the source, rather you're monitoring what comes off the tape, whilst sending the currently selected source to the tape. Even though you haven't attached anything to the VCR's audio out, the AVR is still having to process two sources.

Diggin4fire

Standard Member
Thanks, Mark. This sounds plausible. :thumbsup:
If I were to use only the R and L front channels of the DVD-A input for these comparisons would that be more expensive in terms of power?

Druboo

Established Member
Thanks, Mark. This sounds plausible. :thumbsup:
If I were to use only the R and L front channels of the DVD-A input for these comparisons would that be more expensive in terms of power?

If I were doing comparisons of different cdp's the L & R fronts of the DVD-A and the cd inputs would be my choice :thumbsup:

Just remember that when selecting the cd input also select direct mode :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom