1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR2805 & Zone 2 Questions, please help......

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Rod_Bod, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Rod_Bod

Rod_Bod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello,
    after much research and deliberation I am on the verge of buying my first AV Receiver, which I'm pretty sure will be the AVR2805, but before purchasing I need to know some things in regard to the zone 2 functionality which I hadn't thought of until now (and could not find specific info on from searching the forums).

1. sooner or later I'll be utilising the zone 2 function, but as well as the speakers I want the actual sound source for it (DVD/CD Player) to also be located in zone 2. This is firstly because I already happen to own two DVD/SACD players, and secondly think it will work out to be pretty inconvenient to have to go to the other end of the house and back just to change a CD for zone 2. This might seem lazy but infact the *majority* of music will be played in zone 2 with the Main being primarily for films. So will this function properly as long as I can get an inerconnect long enough from the zone 2 source to the amp?

2. I'm a bit confused as to the remote operation of the amp from zone 2.... I see on the rear panel that it has Remote Control In/Out jacks, but am I to understand that the remote sensor is not included and that it must be bought separately from Denon (£ price?). The same goes for the remote handset itself, must I buy a specific model zone 2 handset from Denon? and if so how much is this likely to cost?

Many thanks for any and all info & apologies for the relative ignorance.

2. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    As far as I know, yes, you can operate a second zone with a second source as you describe - the only limitation is that very long interconnects (and speaker cables, presumably) will be likely to pick up noise and introduce losses, which is probably unadvisable. It certainly isn't as satisfactory a solution as an amplifier in Zone 2, but it should work.

Be aware that the biggest limitation of the 2805 (and 3805) is that you can't send digital-only sources to the remote zones - so if, for example, you connect your CD player via optical interconnect to the 2805, you will also need to connect a pair of analogue phono leads to allow you to listen to it in Zone 2.

OK, you don't need a specific "Zone 2" handset - the remote that is supplied with it has a "Zone 2" button which puts it into "Zone 2" mode, and button presses thereafter affect Zone 2 source select and volume. As for the remote in-out connections, I believe that they allow you to put a single Denon component on display and hide the rest in a cupboard, connected via the remote bus, and the component on display then passes on remote signals for the other components. I am not aware of Denon making a dedicated remote receiver, and you certainly don't get one with it. If, however, the DVD player you are putting in Zone 2 is made by Denon, you may be able to use this as the remote receiver. If it isn't made by Denon, you're probably a bit stuck!

3. Rod_Bod

Rod_Bod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi spl23, thanks for the help. But I'm still a little unclear on something........

So does this mean I have to have some form of only Denon-made component in zone 2 in order to be able to operate the amp from that zone? If this is true it seems very short-sighted of Denon to equip the amp with these Remote jacks while also not manufacturing an optional separate remote sensor for another zone.

Thanks again

4. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I thought that this was the case, although on scouring the net I have now found references to various Denon infrared retransmitters. Look for the RC-616 / RC-617S / RC-617W and RC-618. However, I can only find references to them in the spec sheets of various Denon amps - I can't find anywhere selling them in the UK at a first look. There is the odd site selling them in the US, but they aren't cheap!

5. Rod_Bod

Rod_Bod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Funnily enough I also discovered this today, as I downloaded the pdf Manual for the 2805 last night..... you certainly seem to be right about the lack of availability in the UK (not even from eBay).... and I could only find one site proper that was selling them in the US. I read on one or more of the myriad pages I trawled through that it has been discontinued, which would explain it..... But neverthelss it is very expensive for such a thing, for that overall amount I could get a half-decent secondhand stereo amp for the other zone (which I wont as the whole point for me utilising zone 2 was for the sake of economy).

This is really frustrating that they have put these remote jacks on the back of the amp when they appear not to be able to be used. Do you think there could be a third-party manufactured device which would work with Denon equipment for this??

I will ring Denon UK tomorrow anyway to see what they can tell me.

Thanks again.