1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avr2805+dvd3910 set-up help - PLEASE!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jack_jones, Jul 8, 2005.

1. jack_jones

jack_jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Hello everybody,

I was hoping you might be able to help me. I am new to all this AV/home cinema stuff so unfortunately am not to competent around the kit i have just bought. Recently i bought a denon dvd3910, denon avr2805, pioneer PDP435 XDE and the kef kht5000 speaker package.

The problem I have is that I am not entirely sure I am getting the best 'performance' out of this package, because the guys who came round to install everything, didnt really seem to know what they were doing, as they had only installed panasonic systems before (the reason why i bought the system from them, was because they were really really cheap - no wonder i hear you say!!!)

I was hoping someone might be able to give me a little advice, on how best this stuff should all be wired (I also have sky+) and more importantly, how i know I am always getting the best performance out of the amp (surrond sound etc.) when I am watching both dvd's and sky.

Would really appreciate some advice, any advice, because at the moment the manuals and kit are far too daunting, so i think all this stuff is being wasted!!

Thanks a million.

Jack

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Your best bet is to figure out how your stuff is connected and we can then confirm if there is a better way of doing it. To be honest, you have to go through the handbook for the amp at least in order to get to grips with how it all works together. For instance I have to go to DVD and select ext in to play DVD Audio or SACD's (using the 5.1 outs on my player into the ext. in on my amp). The default is co-ax in for my movies. For CD's I have the stereo out on my player into the CD input of the amp and so select CD for the amp. It is complicated and may serve you to offer someone a few quid to come and set it up for you...

3. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    You might want to try what I've done: I have the DVD input set to use the optical digital connection, and the CD input set to use the external 6-channel input. As far as I know, the front left and front right of the 6 channel input are identical to the stereo left and right when playing CDs, so you don't really need the stereo connection as well as the 6-channel connection.

So for CD, SACD or DVD-A, I select CD on the amp, and for DVD-V I select DVD - no other button pushing required. (I'd leave it on CD all the time, but I suspect that the decoders in the amp are better than those in the DVD player - certainly the amp supports more formats - i.e. DTS-96/24, DD EX etc.)

4. Paolo

Paolo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have similar set-up and currently only use the 1 lead (digital co-ax) from the player to the amp into the DVD connection.

Always select DVD when playing whatever format disc.

Does the set-up you describe above have any advantages over mine for 'normal' DVDs and Cds or is it only applicable for DVD-A and SACD ???

If it's only for the latter 2 - have you found very noticeable sound improvement over 'normal' CD ???

If so, what additional connections do I need toi invest in ?? Is it just 1 additional Phono lead from Player to Amp (into CD input) as decribed above ??

Any advice appreciated...

5. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    The setup I describe above is only necessary for DVD-A and SACD - you can't get the audio for either of them down the standard coaxial digital connection. As to whether it has advantages for standard DVDs and CDs - I'd suspect any differences would be pretty minor, and not worth worrying about.

Do SACDs and DVD-As sound better than normal CD? In stereo, I don't think there is much in it, but surround audio is a whole new world, and is well worth it on the right material. If you want to see what the advantages are, I'd highly recommend Peter Gabriel's "UP" on SACD - the surround mix is stunning.

As for connections, you need three sets of phono cables - one each for front, rear and centre and sub channels. If you haven't got any SACDs or DVD-As, don't bother - but you really should give them a try!

6. Paolo

Paolo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for taking the trouble to reply... :thumbsup:

Am gonna give it a go - already have the Phonos and have just oredered a choice selction of SACDs to try it out.

Fingers crossed...

7. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    But that gives you no sub for stereo playback?

8. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    It may not do - I'm not sure if the 2805 generates sub output from a stereo source in stereo mode. I don't have a sub in my system, but as a recovering hi-fi purist, I'd rather stereo was just that - 2 channels and no additional processing!

9. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The argument for telling it to look at the ext. in for CD mode is quite compelling. It would make format selection easier and I have to say my sub is really 'movie only'. I might be having a tinker this evening!

10. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You know in direct mode you can press Enter till SW comes up then turn it down till off

11. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I'd really recommend it - it does give a nice clear distinction between "music" and "movie" mode, and means that switching between them is a simple twist of the source knob or a single button push on the remote.

It also means that I *really* can't justify upgrading to a 3805 so I can have Denon Link 3, as all DL3 will now save me is this one operation to switch modes...

12. Paolo

Paolo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My SACDs finally arrived... and it really is a different world - completely fills the room with superb sound.

Two last queries, how do I tell the 2805 to look at the ext. in for CD mode ??? Can only see where to set Digital Inputs not Analogue...

Also, 5ch Stereo is loads better for SACD than either of the default Dolby PLII or DTS NEO settings - why is that ???

13. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    With the amp set to the CD input, press the "Ext" button on the remote or the front panel of the amp - that assigns the external 5.1 inputs to the CD input. You don't need to use the menu system at all.

For SACD, you really need to just be using the Ext input, which gives the pure SACD audio. The 5ch stereo program just sends the left front signal to the left surround speakers, and the right front signal to the right surrounds - it is a completely artificial effect which sounds loud and utterly destroys the stereo image.

With the 2805, if you are using the external analogue inputs, you can't use any of the DSP programs or Dolby / DTS surround - you just hear the surround mix as designed by the recording engineer. If you haven't heard that yet - and it sounds as if you haven't - you haven't heard SACD!

14. Paolo

Paolo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Schoolboy Error :oops:

I had FL/FR into CD input (so I could feed thru into Zone 2) and Cent/SL/SR into the pre-out section where my S/W connects.

A bit of re-jigging has exposed the true sound (and my TDSOTM SACD arrived today - just in time for the new set-up).

A lot more subtle - very distinct sound thru' all channels, really is amazing.

Thanks for your patience, wouldn't have got there without your advice. Just need to buy another set of Phonos to connect my Zone 2 into the CD analogues.

Do you tend to use Pure Direct (think it makes a difference ???)

15. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Excellent - glad you got it sorted in the end! "Dark Side" sounds fantastic in surround - "On The Run" is particularly impressive. (And the requirement to connect additional analogue wires for Zone 2 is the most annoying thing about the 2805!)

For myself, I've never really noticed a difference with Pure Direct mode on either the amp or the DVD player - in theory it could make a difference, but in practice, you'd never be able to tell the difference double-blind, so why worry about it? I find it easier to have the display and the video outs on all the time.