AVR2805 and Creative MP3 player

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tommy139, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Tommy139

Tommy139

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi All,

I am considering connecting my Creative Zen MP3 player to my AVR2805.

I was wondering what would be the best method of connecting the two together to get reasonable results.

Has anyone on the forums connected an MP3 player to a Denon, and if so what sort of results did you get and how did you do it ?

Thanks in advance

2. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +596
    Hi there

I bought a lead from xtreme mac for my original 2nd gen iPod for about 10 quid and was underwhelmed. My mate turned up with a 20 quid one from Richer Sounds (i think it was Cambridge Audio brand) which was sooo much better, even to my amatuer ears, so i took mine back and got that one. The cable is also much thicker than the xtreme mac one.

I dont know whether you would notice better results with higher end cable, bearing in mind that your source is compressed music, but russ andrews do a couple of options.

3. Tommy139

Tommy139

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yesterday I bought a lead, a 3.5mm mini jack at one end and two phono plugs the other. Its not an expensive one, just a £9.99 lead from Comet.

I connected the Zen to the Denon but the sound volume is VERY low, for a movie or a music I normally run the Denon's volume at about -30 or so, but the sound for the Zen is barely audible at this volume level.

Any ideas anyone ?

4. briancbb

briancbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stupid question, but is the volume turned up on the MP3 player?

Brian

5. Tommy139

Tommy139

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes it was :D

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    most MP3 players output low volume for two reasons, one is because they are used with bud earphones which are easy to drive loud and the second (which is linked to the first) is that the less amplification needed, the longer the battery lasts..... hence needing to turn a hifi amp up a lot..lol

i have hooked a Creative Muvo up to my 3803 from time to time, using both a JVC 3.5mm to stereo cable from Dixons (a fiver, possible more) and a more expensive 3.5mm to stereo cable, cant remember what it is now, but was about £35 (bought it for my computer originally)......and for higher bitrate tracks it was a definite improvement big time, whether or not a £15 or £20 would be just as good i dunno....but for lower bitrate tracks it actually sounded worse because it lets it pick out the compression and lack of cohesion and solidity...........so i'd say its worth trying a cable more expensive, if you record at a higher bitrate and you want to hook it up fairly often....