1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR2805 and banana plugs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Howi, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Howi

Howi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a AVR2805 to replace my old AVR3300 that died after 5 years of good usage. The 4mm banana plugs do not appear to fit in the speaker terminals and I do not want to force them. Has anyone else expereinced this problem?

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You need to use a small screwdriver or similar to pry out the plastic plugs on the speaker terminals. :)

3. Howi

Howi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The old AVR3300 certainly had plastic plugs, but i can't see that the AVR2805 does, I'll have a closer look later.

4. Howi

Howi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked this last night and there are definately no plastic caps to remove, there is just a smaller than 4mm hole in the end of the speaker connection.

5. anotherdavid

anotherdavid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they are like a little hollow bullet shaped plug

screw the "main" plug all the way in and then just stick a small screwdriver in about 5mm, pull it to the side so the tip pushes against the sidewall, and then drag it back toward you, keeping the pressure against the sidewall

6. Howi

Howi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, i'll give it a try.

7. mjirvine

mjirvine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 2805 and had the same problem!

the plugs are hollow tubes with black plastic tubes stuck in the end. these plastic bungs are tubes and so it looks like they are supposed to be there. I presume thay are an adaptor for a smaller banana plug???

anyway, they come out, although I found it very difficult to get rid of them and had several accidents with my screwdriver, my finger and the red/black terminal plastic. Got the hang of it eventually though.

MJI

8. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi Y'all,

I think I've found the ideal solution to removing the dreaded hollow plugs.
    Get yourself a medium sized screw (a wood screw works best I found),insert the tip of it into the end of the plastic plug and turn it as if you are trying to screw it in.Then keeping a clockwise pressure on it,pull it out.If it does'nt come out first time,try again but try and put a gentle left or right lateral pressure on the screw and it should then pull out.
    I did try the screwdriver method (cannot type with my left index finger due to a bit of a hole in it thanks to a bit of a slip).

Hope this is of help to y'all,
    TTFN

9. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    sorry to butt in, are you happy with music on the 2805 in stereo + multichannel?

10. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi STINKY,

I am still playing about with all the settings on the 2805 with various DVD's and CD's,and the conclusion: B****Y GREAT.
    The 2802 was good, but the 2805 is a revalation.
    TV,CD,SKY and especially DVD audio is greatly improved.
    Channel seperation has widened,and I can hear things in familiar recordings/movies I've not heard before.
    All in all I would definatley recommend this amp to anyone upgrading from an older/budget amp.
    Can't wait till the weekend so I can give it a bit of a cranking with LORD OF THE RING's (hee hee) :devil:

11. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the info. I have just ordered a Yammy RVX1500 from germany. I wanted a 'quailty' receiver, but couldnt resist the lure of paying a lot less than the denon would cost. Trying to save at the moment for a new house, so i did good.... well considering what i spent !!

12. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    Totally agree, mated with the 2910 the combo is just GREAT :D :clap: . Your comment on Channel seperation is absolutely correct.

13. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    This is the conclusion I came to as well, I aten't going to check again because I've just pulled all the sodding banana plugs off to fit the wires on the terminal :blush: :eek:

14. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52

CDB,
    Trust me there ARE 4mm binding posts hiding beneath the hollow plugs,if you follow my earlier post about using a small screw the plugs can be removed.The reason the binding posts are blocked are as far as I'm lead to believe is due to the 4mm holes being the same spacing as european AC power outlets and are to stop people plugging electrical appliances into them :laugh:

The older style of blanking plugs had a "mushroomed" head on them (as on my old denon avr2802), and were much easier to remove by just prising them out with a screwdriver.

You dont need to try and fully twist the screw into the hollow end of the blanking plug, just enough to "catch" the end of the hole. Then keeping a gentle clockwise pressure on the screw, pull outwards and out it'll pop.

Best of luck with it,

TTFN