AVR280 recommend cd player or media

rework

Standard Member
Hi

Just starting out over the last few months. so far I have a new Arcam AVR280, Mission speakers - new to all this so really appreciate any help.

At the moment I just have my dvd player and ipod hooked up using it for cds but its dying a death so I need to get either a cd player or some type of computer drive that I could save the cds to (sorry not well up on the right names) that I can hook up to the amp. So has anyone got any recommendations - I dont have a huge amount of cash but if I could get something decent for about 200 or 300 that would be great.

Also - I have to get a rack - but I dont know what to look for - what space do I need to leave between the amp and shelf above is half an inch enough - would glass or wood shelves be better? The manual just says ample space? I live in republic of ireland so demos are really not an option. If anyone has any suggestions etc Id really appreciate some advice. thank you

mark.cup

My AVR280 is paired with an Arcam CD73t & they work very well together!

you may pick 1 up cheap as they just stopped making them not long ago or maybe a used 1?

chapeau

If you want a CD player in that budget, another possibility is a Cambridge Audio 640C v2 is £250 ( azur-640c-v2 ) and is well respected, the dual DACS come recommended, and it does sound very good indeed through the AVR280 (got different speakers to you). There have also been a lot of cracking deals on CA stuff recently, no idea whether they will extend to that CD.

The new fangled way is to have all your music ripped to a NAS device and others might advise you on that.

rework

Standard Member
Hi

Thanks for the replies so far I will check out those two - I was also advised to look at the Marantz 5001 cd player - hopefully will find a dummys guide to this NAS stuff and investigate there too.
Would I be better to use the DACS in the ARcam or in the CD player? I think from reading here that if I connect cd by analogue I will be using the Arcam dacs - any idea?

Can anyone tell me how much space should I leave above an AVR280 with the shelf above it before I decide on a stand?

Thanks a lot

hippiemark

Hello i'm glad you like your amp, i'll do what i can to answer your questions. Firstly you should leave about a minimum of 2 inchs space above your amp on a rack. I would say that 5 would be better, i have an apollo mezo rack google it and you should find something others have used ikea cabinets or box one of the fancy racks basically its down to looks mostly. As for a cd player, if you connect it only using analogue you will be using the dac in the source. Analogue is simply the sound going to the amp to be made louder. Apple do a media thing called apple tv which has digital and analogue out i think for about 2 hundred quid which is apparently very good this would mean you have all your itunes stuff there to play. It does mean the ipod would not be used in your set up. As far as cd players go there are several cd72's floating about, i just sold mine for a touch over one hundred pounds on evilbay so you could look for those or try a dealer to see what you like the sound of. This is ultimately the only reason to buy, because you like the sound. Hope this helps.

rework

Standard Member
hi

Thanks a lot for all that info. I will check out that apollo and check out the cds - Im a bit limited coz I live in ireland so not too many dealers around. I understand what your saying about the analogue now - god - so much to learn but its all good!
I still have to learn how to set the amp up properly and learn about things like speaker trims etc etc but hey - thats what google is for

hippiemark

All i can suggest is that you have fun. On the cd player front just decide weather you want to go crazy and get something super special or something a little more modest. I would say buy what you think you can afford. And as you've already stated your budget is around the 2 to 3 hundred mark which could get you something very wow.

I'd be tempted to look carefully at weather you would want a totally media based system or a more cd based system. I have a mostly cd based one and only rarely use an ipod connected to my 250 i mostly listen to cd's and i personally prefer that.

I dont know what you computer is but there are ways of making the computer be a key part of your music system if that would be more to your liking. It basically is down to what you want and prefer. As for the speaker trims and such i suggest playing the thx tests (on star wars and various other Dvds) and making sure your sub and speakers blend well, beyond that there is only the fine adjustment of levels but to be honest once you have set the distances with a tape measure you are pretty much up and running and the tweaks are simply tailoring things to your liking.

Also dont be afraid to post questions on here, there are so many people who are willing to help and offer advise and almost all of them started out the same as you and just looking for some help. Enjoy yourself and i hope you like your toys

lpm

Perhaps I could suggest a slightly different approach. You don’t say what sort of DVD player you currently have but I use a DV78 with my AVR300 and Mission speakers. I use the analogue outs for CDs and found the performance very close to the CD73 whilst providing superb surround sound as well. I use a CD 36 in my separate stereo setup but the DV78 is still excellent in its own right in my HT area. Perhaps a DV78, 79 or even later Arcam DVD players would suit.:)

chapeau

Yes, that's also a very good option.

I had that setup using a blu-ray until recently when I picked up a 640C v2 for about £100 on the classifieds. Until then, the blu ray was OK. I had been talked into using a DACMagic which did sound better but to be honest it wasn't worth the extra £200 so it went back.

What annoyed me with the bluray was the slow open/close of the tray even with a CD, the poor menu, and the lack of 'cd' functionality that you get on a dedicated CD player. However, it wasn't annoying enough to pay £250 for a decent CD - but it was worth another £100.

Also, I believe that the DACS you get in the 640C v2 are the same as in the DACMagic, or that's what the guys at RS said. The DACs in the 640C definitely make a small but noticeable difference over the AVR280 DACs.

For me it was a price/performance/functionality decision, not an 'audiophile' decision.

CA have now got a 650 out, so if I was a gambling man, I'd say the 640s might soon be on fire sale.

rework

Standard Member
Hi all

Thanks so much for all the info -Ive plenty to research and think about here. Good point about deciding whether I will go mainly cds or digital. I have a mix of both but am heading more towards the digital storage. Demos are really a non runner for where I live so will search online for as many reviews as I can - not a good substitute for my own ears though I know.

I like the idea of having a matching arcam cd player but too expensive in republic of ireland - will keep an eye on a certain auction site.
I notice a lot of positives for the CA 640 so will research this one - anyone got any info on the Marantz CD 5001 - I can get one of these locally at good price would there be a huge difference in this and the CA or arcam? My dvd player tray just started jamming in the last day or so looks like this might need changing too my budget for my cd player is shrinking - this is why Im wondering about the Marantz again.

hippiemark

What Dvd player do you have? As someone already suggested maybe getting a Dvd player with good cd playback could save some pennies, then with the remaining money some kind of media device? Look into a Arcam Dv135 Dvd player and an apple tv. I think you could probably get the two for under 700 new or less

rework

Standard Member
Just an update - went for the CA 640Cv2 - just waiting on delivery now )
Had to wait until I had the cash together! recession (

Thanks for all the help.. will go for a separate dvd player when the old JVC gives up the ghost completely.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom