• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AVR280 DV135 - Best connections

curvature

Please help -

As stated i have a AVR280 and a DV135 along with Sky HD and a Wii.

What is the best way to connect them all up to my old Hitachi Plasma.

The Hitachi only has component or DVI inputs.

Ideally i would like to go through the Amp and use it to switch inputs to reduce the number of remote contorls needed!

lestat132

Standard Member
I would suggest;

HDMI from your DV135 and Sky HD to the 280 for pictures
Optical/Coax/Analogue from DV135 and Sky HD to the 280 for sound
HDMI to DVI cable from the 280 HDMI out to the DVI on the Hitachi

Buy yourself a Wii component cable, send the audio to the 280 and the component straight to the Hitachi (or Wii video to the 280 on one cable and then another out to the Hitachi - remember the 280 wont convert to HDMI)

And then highly recommend getting yourself a universal remote if youre trying to cut down on the remote count. I've got a Harmony 525, which, while being a bit of a chore to set up now works like a charm.

curvature

I would suggest;

HDMI from your DV135 and Sky HD to the 280 for pictures
Optical/Coax/Analogue from DV135 and Sky HD to the 280 for sound
HDMI to DVI cable from the 280 HDMI out to the DVI on the Hitachi

Buy yourself a Wii component cable, send the audio to the 280 and the component straight to the Hitachi (or Wii video to the 280 on one cable and then another out to the Hitachi - remember the 280 wont convert to HDMI)

And then highly recommend getting yourself a universal remote if youre trying to cut down on the remote count. I've got a Harmony 525, which, while being a bit of a chore to set up now works like a charm.

Thanks for your input.

The other problem i have is that when i set the tv to show the dvd image it then refuses to show the sky image. I have to set the tv to DVI-STB for the sky box and DVI-PC for the dvd player which is a pain as i only have one dvi input meaning a manual change each time i switch source.

Any thoughts??

lestat132

Standard Member
Hmmm, curious. Have read a little about Hitachis on the web now and see what you mean - youre not the first to have this problem.

All I can suggest is, go the universal remote route, program a "Watch Sky" and a "Watch DVD" macro that switches inputs for you as part of its sequence?

Otherwise, try tinkering with the settings on the Sky box and the DV135 so that they work with the opposite setting?

curvature

Thaks guys.

Starnge thing is that the problem has cured itself, now DVD and Sky both work from the same inout on the TV as they should do.??

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom