AVR280 - Connection help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by curvature, Nov 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. curvature

curvature

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Quick and easy question.

I have finally finished our new living room and rationalised my audio visual set up to the following

AVR280
    DV135
    SKY HD
    Apple TV

My question is just to see if my proposed connection route is the best way forward as my TV only has 2 HDMI inputs to the rear

DV135 - HDMI to TV
    SKY HD - HDMI to AVR280
    Apple TV - HDMI to AVR280

Then to get the sound to the Amp I intend to use an optical cable from the TV back to the AVR280.

For music i run a pair of cable talk interconnects via the CD output to the CD input.

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Nick

2. drac

drac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds ok for starters. I think you'll also need a coax from the 135 to the 280 and the same from the $ky box to the amp (although not 100% on this - unsure whether DD5.1 can go via the HDMI to a 280 as don't have a $ky box and just use coax on my DV79 and BR player).

3. arockhound

arockhound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    No DD5.1 via HDMI from Sky box. You'll need optical for the sound (unless newer ones have coax as well).

4. flysi

flysi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its unlikely that your tv will pass 5.1 out back to your amp. Better as suggested above is for coax from DV135 and AppleTV to amp and optical from skyHD (assuming its a newer box) to amp.

Its the same setup I had when I had a multi media PC. Works fine other than needing to switch inputs on TV when going to DVD, which I couldnt make automated with the CR100 so needed to switch remote to TV, change channel, then switch remote to new input, something my girlfriend never quite got the hang of.

5. curvature

curvature

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thank you all for your replies.

I think you are right about the optical output from my TV. It is passing a signal but not DD5.1

Coaxial lead on it's way for the DV135.

Just rented our first film from Apple. Started off well but then got an our in and re-buffered the whole film!